Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

possible rear brakes/suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default possible rear brakes/suspension problem

89 Cherokee 4.0....... 4 door 2 wheel drive. Started restoring her 18 months ago. 98% complete inside and out.
My current ghost is when brakes are applied and I stop...... then pedal is released.....a very loud and noticeable "clunk/clank" is felt and heard. It's coming from the rear of the Jeep. Either the brakes or something in the suspension.
I removed the drive shaft and re-worked the U joints. Brand new. It didn't help. Replaced the shoes and drums. Turned the drums. It's still there. Like something releasing.
The mystery intensifies when it's raining. It takes the clunk away when things are wet.
4 mechanics can't figure it out.

Anybody ever had such a mess?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Would it be possible for someone to stand outside the Jeep as you come to a stop and listen when you accelerate to better isolate the noise? There are a few things in the drum and diff that could be making the noise.

Just curious, if you come to a stop and place the transmission in reverse before releasing the brakes, does it still make the noise?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Also, did you lubricate the drum brake backing plate where the shoes make contact? The fact that it doesn't do it when it's raining leads me to believe it's an issue of lubrication... somewhere. I believe there are three or four rub locations for each shoe that the manufacture recommends lubricating with a smear of high-temp grease.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89

Thanks.....I'm gonna address the lub. scenario.I get the release clank only when coming to a stop when in gear. Coasting and stopping in N I get no clank. Wet I get no clank.
I get the clank only with the first release of the pedal. After that release and clank if I ease forward and press/release I get no clank. Seems the higher pressure stop............ the louder the clank is.
I've had a friend stand where I stop and it's either the drum area or between the rear tires. The coast/stop in neutral has me scratching my head too. Acceleration after stop has nothing to do with results.
Spooky.....