Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Possible bad shift solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Possible bad shift solenoid question

First thing first, 1998 Cherokee Classic...4.0L / AW4 / 169xxx miles

So last friday, i got a CEL. It went into limp mode and couldnt get out of its own way from a dead stop. Once it was rolling it was fine. Got it home. The next day i took it to autozone to get the codes. Started it up, no CEL, ran perfect.

Got the codes from autozone:

P0700
P0758 - 2-3 shift sloenoid circuit fault...TCM has detected voltage on the 2-3 shift solenoid during a period when the solenoid is not active

It ran fine up until yesterday when the CEL came back and it went back into limp mode. The weird part is sometimes it will feel like its in limp mode and is tough to get going and other times it shifts perfectly. If its manually shifted it shifts perfectly everytime. Its only from a dead stop on a few occasions that its noticable, all other times it shifts and runs fine.

So obviously my first question is does it def sound like a bad 2-3 shift solenoid or could it potentially be something else? TPS? Electrical?

Second, is it safe to drive? I need it this through this weekend until i can grab the parts and find the time to fix it.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Craig Robinson (11-21-2020)
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

you did not stay around long enough for a response. Clear the code either with a scanner or by removing the battery terminals and momentarly touching the cables together to clear the pcm/tcm memory.
Then test drive it to see if the problem returns quickly.
Could be a shorted wire in the harness at the trans or a shorted solenoid.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Ill give that a try tomorrow before i leave for work. If it is a shorted solenoid, where would i get a replacement w/o paying an arm and a leg. I can do the work myself, its finding the part.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Reset the memory and the CEL came on immediately. Drove home and it was slow getting going from a dead stop, but drove normally otherwise.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do?

mine has the exact same problem, have you found the solution?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

There's a good write up on jeep forum. I've got a very similar situation going. Check your tps, I've heard it can cause an issue. Also, use a multi-meter and ohm out your transmission connected on the passenger side of the engine, its a black 7 wire connector. I believe you want the top left 3 wires checked, with the center bottom wire as your ground. Not 100% on that though, because that seems to be the issue I'm having. Otherwise, pull the pan and ohm out the solenoids individually. Check for that write-up, "aw4 solenoid replacement write-up" I believe is what its called.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM

my 98 did the same thing, i replaced all 3 solenoids , filter & fluid change cost me about $280 for parts , 2hrs of work. completely fixed it & shifts perfectly. i drove mine for 2 weeks before fixing it just by shifting manually, mine would not come back to first automatically. tip, dont just replace 1 or 2 solenoids do all 3 at once, you dont want to drop the pan in 6 months because another old one fails. mine came as a kit w/ all 3. i bought online from a national supplier of tranny parts & they came ups from a place i found out was 20 miles from my house. there are lots of good links on line about how to do it, just search a little.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 PM

Default Help please

I have replaced, solenoid B (2-3) ran good for about 30 miles, then got a CEL and limp mode, so i replaced the trans lock up solenoid ran great for two weeks until yesterday CEL came on with codes P0700 and p0743 again! I have also been manualy shifting out of first, but most of the time it will shift its self.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyMac22
I have replaced, solenoid B (2-3) ran good for about 30 miles, then got a CEL and limp mode, so i replaced the trans lock up solenoid ran great for two weeks until yesterday CEL came on with codes P0700 and p0743 again! I have also been manualy shifting out of first, but most of the time it will shift its self.
all 3 should be replaced at the same time, they are all the same age & all the same amount of wear on them.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:27 PM

Year: 1996

Similar issues here:

1996 Sport 4.0 / 158k
No dash lights lit

Transmission fluid nice and clean, proper level.
TPS just replaced with OEM Mopar
Kickdown cable adjusted

When stone cold, generally shifts regularly.

Sometimes doesn't want to lock the convertor or stay locked. WHen it doesn't want to stay locked, if I hit the gas like 50% or more it will lock then if you let off the gas a bit for cruising it will unlock..... This normally happens in conjunction with lower RPM sloppy shifts it seems like. Then if you put it in neutral, completely stop, and put it back in D it will sometimes lock up normally after that...

Had it go into limp mode a couple times. After a restart, no more limp mode.

Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Good info here about testing the solenoid circuits.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/does-auto-trans-problem-diagnosis-sound-legit-195669/
Old 01-30-2015, 01:30 PM

Year: 1996

Thanks.

Yeah when I stop my car 100% and put it in Neutral, then back to D after symptoms I described above, it starts working normally for a bit. Then after a few mins it will freak and not want to lock, in conjunction with sloppy lower RPM 2-3-4 shifts. It will lock at 50%+ throttle but when you let off for cruising it unlocks...

Not sure what the deal is or if anyone has had similar symptoms. Hopefully I can look at it this weekend but not sure.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM

Location: north of the Rio Grande, south of the Red, east of the Pecos, west of the Sabine
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche

I've had mine since it was new in 1990. It's of the Renix era, of course, but the trannies are not much different. Mine has done the lock-unlock-lock at light throttle since it was new. Tach will rise somewhere less than 100 RPM as I cruise on a slight downhill, only to lock as the engine starts to pull again when the speed drops back to where the cruise will apply throttle to maintain speed. And of course, same happens when I'm controlling the throttle. It acts something like a sprag clutch, in which it freewheels in coast and locks when power is applied. I have asked about this on numerous occasions over the 25 years that I've had it, and have always gotten the same answer. Nobody's sure, but all seem to think it's normal. I'm not convinced that it's normal, but nothing bad has happened in those 25 years and 260K miles. It still pulls my 4400# load at 60 MPH on 500 mile trips 7-8 times a year (in third gear).

I will add this, though. I seem to have mitigated the problem (if it is a problem) by tightening the throttle cable a bit. The adjuster used to stick out about 3/4", but I have tightened it by adjusting it to stick out about 3/8" or so, and the situation still occurs, but not as readily. My theory is that the throttle cable is used to adjust line pressure in the xmsn according to load, as indicated by throttle position. By tightening the throttle cable, I'm increasing the line pressure a little and this is what helps prevent the constant lock-unlock cycling. Take this all for what it's worth, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

By the way, I don't and have never had the sloppy shifts that you mention, but I have developed a slight "flare" now on the last "shift" - haven't determined yet if the last RPM drop is 3-4 shift or fourth gear lock-up. Sometimes my converter locks in third before the shift to fourth gear.

Last edited by Bobolink; 01-31-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

You have a GRAND Cherokee (ZJ). This is the XJ forum (non Grand). The correct forum is here > Grand Cherokee Forum
Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by fb97xj1

You have a GRAND Cherokee (ZJ). This is the XJ forum (non Grand). The correct forum is here > Grand Cherokee Forum

I moved it.

Quick Reply: Possible bad shift solenoid question