Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Popping noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Popping noise in front end

When i turn my wheel all the way to the left or right and start to go back to center i get a loud *** pop in the front end. also if i hit a bump it pops. ball joints? what do you guys think?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by White92
When i turn my wheel all the way to the left or right and start to go back to center i get a loud *** pop in the front end. also if i hit a bump it pops. ball joints? what do you guys think?
hmm. ive heard of this happening. i would check the sway bar bushings and shock bushing. track bar loose? could be moving under stress. possibly the axle u joints? but that is more of a clicking noise when turning. hope this helps
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 PM

sway bar is gone i believe. just bought it yesterday havent had time to look.. my friends dad sold it to me for 400 bucks said sway bars are deleted. u joints are good. i guess il have to look at the ball joints tomorrow
Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Is it lifted? Check out the trackbar.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 PM

Year: 1998

I purchased a 98 and had the same issue. By lying under the front and having my daughter turn the wheel back and forth, I isolated the sound to where the trac bar attaches to the frame on the driver's side. I replaced the track bar, but the sound was still there. Finally, I torqued down the bolts that hold the trac bar bracket to the frame on the driver's side and it totally solved the problem. It is simple and free, so it is probably worth trying. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

And get a sway bar for the front. Unless you NEVER plan to drive faster than 25mph. I know people will say its OK, but it is almost as dangerous as playing Russian Roulette with six in the chamber.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 PM

I have the same problem and hit what looked like a small pothole anyway gotten worse. Checked axle side of tracbar. Will check driver side like stated before. If you figure it out post up to let us know lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 PM

Engine: 6

Tighten the S**T out of the draglink bolts
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
And get a sway bar for the front. Unless you NEVER plan to drive faster than 25mph. I know people will say its OK, but it is almost as dangerous as playing Russian Roulette with six in the chamber.
Good god, no its not by any means. Quit exaggerating unless you've driven one like that on a regular basis. I've had the front sway bar off my XJ since last October(removed the rear about a month ago and noticed ZERO difference) and I've been daily driving it since. I have a total of about 10,000 miles on it with the disconnected sway bar and have yet to come anywhere close to flipping it on road. I don't baby it by any means either, I regularly take 25mph exit ramps at 35 or 40 and generally don't go slow around corners.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Good god, no its not by any means. Quit exaggerating unless you've driven one like that on a regular basis. I've had the front sway bar off my XJ since last October(removed the rear about a month ago and noticed ZERO difference) and I've been daily driving it since. I have a total of about 10,000 miles on it with the disconnected sway bar and have yet to come anywhere close to flipping it on road. I don't baby it by any means either, I regularly take 25mph exit ramps at 35 or 40 and generally don't go slow around corners.
All Jeeps are differnt.He is exaggerating but mine is squirelly with it disco'd.I wouldn't drive it on the freeway like that or fast around sharp turns.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by troy fritz
All Jeeps are differnt.He is exaggerating but mine is squirelly with it disco'd.I wouldn't drive it on the freeway like that or fast around sharp turns.
Yes, but most XJs are quit similar, unless you have steering or suspension parts that are worn out or loose, in which case the sway bar is only masking the real problem. All the sway bar is for is to control body roll, its quite simple how it works. If the body leans to the drivers side, it pushes the axle closer to the sway bar on that side, and it pulls the sway bar farther away from the axle on the passenger's side, the sway bar is just a giant torsion bar and as a result it counteracts this motion and helps to keep body roll in check.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 AM

Year: 1992, 1996
Engine: inline 6

Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by White92
check the "frame" where the steering box bolts to the frame. i had the same noise and there was a crack in the frame there. all the way at the front.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.6L

Track bar will "pop". Have someone turn or shake the steering wheel while your under it. You should be able to tell where the noise is coming from. I haven't run any sway bar (front or rear) in 3 years, but i have a rear leaf pack out of an 83' S15... pretty stout....
Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

Originally Posted by NJ-xj
check the "frame" where the steering box bolts to the frame. i had the same noise and there was a crack in the frame there. all the way at the front.
how did you fix that??

Quick Reply: Popping noise in front end