Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pop/Clunk from front end?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default Pop/Clunk from front end?

Before anyone says it, yes I searched, lol.

I could not find a definite answer other than to jack it up and look at it to see what's up.

The previous owner said he thought it was the CV joint, but I'm not sure if it would do that due to the joint would it? It only clunks when I turn the wheel, regardless of speed it will clunk here and there. I took a quick look underneath but couldn't see anything that stood out to me as a sure problem. I'm going to be jacking it up tomorrow to check, but I'd just like to see if there are any spots I should be looking for and any I can rule out.

I'm assuming it's the trackbar.

Thanks in advance!
-Rudy-
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Don't assume anything. This will only get fixed with your active participation, not with a keyboard and a monitor. Get your grubbies on and grab someone to do the easy job for about 2 minutes.

With the tires on the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you observe the steering components. Look for an movement between components.
I would tighten the bolts that fasten the steeering box and trackbar bracket to frame just cuz. You can't always see the looseness there and the trackbar brackets, particularly are known for loosening up.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Don't assume anything. This will only get fixed with your active participation, not with a keyboard and a monitor. Get your grubbies on and grab someone to do the easy job for about 2 minutes.

With the tires on the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you observe the steering components. Look for an movement between components.
I would tighten the bolts that fasten the steeering box and trackbar bracket to frame just cuz. You can't always see the looseness there and the trackbar brackets, particularly are known for loosening up.
I would have done it already, but it's 6AM and I live alone, lol.

Gonna get one of my workers to help me out with it tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Year: 1999

This. I had my wife turn the wheel and I saw my RE trackbar bracket moving on the frame. Tighten bolts and add TB brace, problem solved. It could also be wallowed out on the axle end of the TB
Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Well I picked it up today and set it on jack stands, but couldn't find the issue?

I thought it might be the sway bar end-links, because the bushings were worn on one side, but when I checked it closer, the noise is coming from the driver's side.

The thing is, it doesn't make much noise when the weight is off the wheels. You can hardly hear it at all, if that. But once I set it down again, the noise comes back. Me and my friend think it may be in the steering because you can feel it when you put your hand on the front bumper near the box/brace.

Things I've done:
-Tightened all bolts
-Checked tires, etc. all components for play

Only things that I can see clearly need attention are the end-links, but I really don't think that it's causing the popping noise.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 PM

I am having the same problem, in fact that is why I joined CherokeeForum.com. Anyway I am only hearing the thump when I have forward movement and I turn right or sometimes during acceleration straight. At first I thought it was suspension, so i had a three inch lift put on which replaced a lot of components and it did not fix the problem, bought new tires and wheels, also didn't help. I replaced upper and lower ball joints on both sides and axle u-joints, also didn't help.
Last night I took my front drive shaft out to seperate my drivetrain from my front axle hoping it would help me get answers. I still hear the noise, however it is a little better.
Needless to say I have no better answers, I am going to be taking my front diff cover off to inspect the internal parts.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

Rudy - put your fingers right on the tie rod ends and any place there may be movement - while someone wiggles the steering wheel.. Your fingers are more sensitive than your eyes.

Fire - yours sounds like the axle u-joints. You can see them from underneath. Look inside the spindle C.

The bearing caps get loose, or if they are badly worn you'll see rust on them. Rotate the tire back and forth while watching. If left for long, you'll have a bearing cap fall out, then things break. Bore it gets expensive, fix it.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Having the same issue on my 99 XJ. Only happens in 4wd...PT, FT and 4L. Zero noise or clicking/shudder in 2wd.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM

rich - I already replaced my axle u-joints didn't help :-(, replaced my sway bar bushing today... also didn't help.
I think my next step is Diff Cover coming off to inspect gears.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.oL H.O. 784 injectors, EV6 to EV1 connectors, APN header, Dynomax exhaust

Check the motor mounts. That weak rubber breaks away leaving the bolt to flop about freely against the metal strap/bracket.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Seasoned Member

I'll check those things out tomorrow guys, thanks for the tips!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Any luck with your XJ? I took the diff cover off mine today and inspected all the gears. With my very very limited knowledge of diffs, I still say all my gears looked really good, no chips or missing teeth, I am still at a loss for what this noise could be!!! It's driving my CRAZYYY
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Nope, still haven't found it. I think it's something in the steering box.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by FireEngineXJ
Any luck with your XJ? I took the diff cover off mine today and inspected all the gears. With my very very limited knowledge of diffs, I still say all my gears looked really good, no chips or missing teeth, I am still at a loss for what this noise could be!!! It's driving my CRAZYYY
Have you ever put a wrench/socket on your trackbar mounting bracket to frame bolts?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Have you ever put a wrench/socket on your trackbar mounting bracket to frame bolts?
If I understand what you are saying I have, I actually replaced my badly worn sway bar bushings and was sure that was going to solve the problem, but with only a little suprise, it did not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pop/Clunk from front end?