Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Polluting...Like a BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Exclamation Polluting...Like a BOSS

Gentlemen, I am sad to say that my Jeep is causing birds to fall from the sky when I drive by.

I need some help from the members here that are familiar with test results and can help me get these numbers WAY down.

Muchos Gracias in advance!

Here are the results:
Attached Thumbnails Polluting...Like a BOSS-photo.jpg  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Usually failing smog means you need an o2 sensor and maybe a new cat
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Year?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Slick761
Year?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

sure glad we dont have emissions testing in minnesota
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Usually failing smog means you need an o2 sensor and maybe a new cat
I thought maybe the cat as well but I read that the NO would be high with a bad cat and mine is pretty low. Does that sound right?

I definitely have plans to get an O2.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

I'll help u out... Be on in about an hour?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

how are your plugs wires cap and rotor?
Any vac leaks?

Last edited by Kuro89; 04-26-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Please take a better larger pic. It's a renix so here we go. First of all go here http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm and here http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...lse_Stator.htm and follow the directions to test your sensors (the second link will be useful to test cmp or cam position sensor which effects how your injectors fire). If you follow the directions and test the sensors you may find a bad one. I don't remember if its listed but don't forget the knock sensor as it affects the timing. After you check the sensors and replace as needed, seafoam the engine through the brake booster vacuum hose. Give it a tune up (plugs wires cap rotor air filter) and change the oil. Also clean the vacuum line to the ccv system (the rear one on the valve cover). When you're going in to smog give it a good 10 or 20 minute drive before going in. Make an appointment so you have a set time and leave the engine running when you get to the smog station. Viola. If you don't pass after all that its either your cat or a more major problem in the engine such as blow by or burned valves. Good luck! Oh ya check your plastic vacuum lines, they tend to crack as they get old.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

HC and CO are both too high, eh? That normally points to incomplete combustion of a too-rich mixture.
In addition to the items listed previously, do you have any exhaust leaks before or near the O2 sensor? Manifold perhaps? That can fool a properly-operating O2 sensor into supplying an excessively rich mixture.
Is the engine coming up to proper operating temperature? No ignition faults or misfires? No vacuum leaks?

eta: I see you also failed the Evap test. Any vacuum hose problems around your charcoal canister?

Last edited by Radi; 04-27-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi
HC and CO are both too high, eh? That normally points to incomplete combustion of a too-rich mixture.
In addition to the items listed previously, do you have any exhaust leaks before or near the O2 sensor? Manifold perhaps? That can fool a properly-operating O2 sensor into supplying an excessively rich mixture.
Is the engine coming up to proper operating temperature? No ignition faults or misfires? No vacuum leaks?

eta: I see you also failed the Evap test. Any vacuum hose problems around your charcoal canister?
Yes I forgot the exhaust. With our manifolds so prone to cracks, sometimes enough air gets in to fool the o2 sensor into telling the ecu that our engine is running too lean. On the operating temp if the coolant temp sensor (the one in the block driver side back of engine, there are two sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer) is malfunctioning and tells the computer that the engine isn't up to temp it will stay in open loop and run on preset parameters which won't fly when you try to smog it.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 AM

87... what year is the cutoff for emissions in Cali?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I think its 1974, they are the ones who started it all
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Slick761
Please take a better larger pic. It's a renix so here we go. First of all go here http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm and here http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...lse_Stator.htm and follow the directions to test your sensors (the second link will be useful to test cmp or cam position sensor which effects how your injectors fire). If you follow the directions and test the sensors you may find a bad one. I don't remember if its listed but don't forget the knock sensor as it affects the timing. After you check the sensors and replace as needed, seafoam the engine through the brake booster vacuum hose. Give it a tune up (plugs wires cap rotor air filter) and change the oil. Also clean the vacuum line to the ccv system (the rear one on the valve cover). When you're going in to smog give it a good 10 or 20 minute drive before going in. Make an appointment so you have a set time and leave the engine running when you get to the smog station. Viola. If you don't pass after all that its either your cat or a more major problem in the engine such as blow by or burned valves. Good luck! Oh ya check your plastic vacuum lines, they tend to crack as they get old.
Much appreciated. I'll get to testing all sensors including the O2. I have replaced ALL the junk plastic lines with soft VAC line and I have new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and air filter.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Radi

This is a serious possibility. The PO smashed up the down pipe with the front axle pinion yoke. I had to tig weld the **** outta that thing. When I test the O2 I hope it is obviously bad because I really don't want to pull the exhaust manifold. None the less, added to my list. Thank you

Evap failed as well but I have a friend with the equipment to test for the leak. I hope it will be relatively straight forward. Yet another things the PO did was remove all evap crap. (I installed all evap equipment from a junker)

Quick Reply: Polluting...Like a BOSS