Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PO304 Cam Sensor Code - Do I have one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default PO304 Cam Sensor Code - Do I have one?

Hi guys -
My 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 died while I was delivering mail with it yesterday. A mechanic brought a scanner to my house (where I had it towed to) and it shows a PO340 "camshaft position sensor A-circuit" code. Also showed a generic "code 54 camshaft sensor circuit" code. My question is this: I know I have a crank sensor (the one mounted on the bell housing) because I had that replaced a year ago (with an Echlin from NAPA, which I shouldn't have probably used based on what everyone says here regarding using a MOPAR sensor). My question is...do I actually have a camshaft sensor and if so, where is it located? My Haynes manual says they were used on some inline 6 engines like mine, but only after 2000. I don't see anything in my engine bay that looks even close to what they show. I do however have that little disc-like thing that sits under the distributor cap called an "ignition pickup", which I also replaced last year. So I'm wondering...does the PO340 code refer more to the crank sensor or the pickup? Or...do I actually have a cam sensor somewhere that I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by spudzy
Hi guys -
My 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 died while I was delivering mail with it yesterday. A mechanic brought a scanner to my house (where I had it towed to) and it shows a PO340 "camshaft position sensor A-circuit" code. Also showed a generic "code 54 camshaft sensor circuit" code. My question is this: I know I have a crank sensor (the one mounted on the bell housing) because I had that replaced a year ago (with an Echlin from NAPA, which I shouldn't have probably used based on what everyone says here regarding using a MOPAR sensor). My question is...do I actually have a camshaft sensor and if so, where is it located? My Haynes manual says they were used on some inline 6 engines like mine, but only after 2000. I don't see anything in my engine bay that looks even close to what they show. I do however have that little disc-like thing that sits under the distributor cap called an "ignition pickup", which I also replaced last year. So I'm wondering...does the PO340 code refer more to the crank sensor or the pickup? Or...do I actually have a cam sensor somewhere that I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance.
That disc-like thing under the distributor cap is the Camshaft Position Sensor.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

What month and year was your '96 built? Should be on the decal on the rear edge of the driver's door.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM

My Cherokee was built in 06/96 (June of 1996). I have had issues in the past where I've needed parts for a '97 (windshield washer pump, for example) so I guess they had already started to put some '97 parts on in June of '96. The ignition pickup (camshaft sensor?) part though is the same part number for both a '96 and '97....at least that's what a few of the local auto parts store's websites show.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Un-freaking-believable. Thank you SO much CCKen! Every auto parts place I ever looked at called that plate under the distributor cap an "ignition pickup". I honestly had no idea that it was also referred to as a camshaft position sensor. Well...I had installed a new one a mere 11 months ago (cheap BWD brand) that had a 1 year warranty. I just pulled it out, drove to Advance to get my new one free under warranty and came home and installed it. The Jeep fired right up. Again, thank you VERY much. The most expensive part of my little learning experience will be the cost of the new crank sensor I ordered today from the dealer, but hey...it never hurts to have a spare one of those laying around, does it?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

'96 is a bastard XJ with its gaggle of parts throughout production, like the '97 tends to be with its OBD system.

You do indeed have a '97 distributor, part number 56027028, which is only applicable to the '96 and '97.

Chrysler calls the Cam Sensor a "Switch Plate". It has a part number 56027023. - if you ever need to get the OEM Cam Sensor.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by spudzy
Un-freaking-believable. Thank you SO much CCKen! Every auto parts place I ever looked at called that plate under the distributor cap an "ignition pickup". I honestly had no idea that it was also referred to as a camshaft position sensor. Well...I had installed a new one a mere 11 months ago (cheap BWD brand) that had a 1 year warranty. I just pulled it out, drove to Advance to get my new one free under warranty and came home and installed it. The Jeep fired right up. Again, thank you VERY much. The most expensive part of my little learning experience will be the cost of the new crank sensor I ordered today from the dealer, but hey...it never hurts to have a spare one of those laying around, does it?
Hang on to that old Crank Sensor (if it's an OEM sensor). Clean it up and carefully place it in your spare parts box - you'll need it when the aftermarket CPS craps out.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Another cookie for CCKEN! Great advice....

Ken is a wealth of information on this forum