Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help - Ambient air temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default Please help - Ambient air temp sensor

I have looked and looked and can't find my ambient air temp sensor. I have seen many posts on here where it should be and can't locate it in any of those places. Anyone have a pic of either the sensor where thier's is or where the wire is supposed to be where this thing is supposed to be. Extremely frustrated.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

First thing, Does your Jeep have the digital display inside? If not you will never find the sensor. If you do have have the digital display. I should be behind the front bumper in the center, between the bumper and the radiator core support.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:32 PM

HS, well that clears up everything!!! That's the first time anyone has included that information in a post about this sensor. Thanks so much!

I don't have digital display in either of the Cherokees I own so now I can put everything back together which I ripped apart trying to find these things.

Ok then, for tuning these things up for better mileage then other then normal tune up stuff, there's only the O2 sensor that needs to be changed?????
Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987

Wait, are you looking for the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor for the ECU or the ambient air temp sensor meant for the overhead console display? Because you mentioned tuning up, I thought you were looking for the IAT sensor.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM

I believe I am referring to the ambient air sensor. I am referring back to an old post about tuning up the Jeep -
Click here: MPG - Jeep Cherokee Forum by Hawaiin808:
To get your mpg back
Start with fluid changes front to back, engine, trans,diff, front and back, I prefer synthetic,
New air filter (I not a 5 knock off)and plugs if you can swing it I have great luck with e3 diamond fire ones
Clean your throttle body, air intake temp sensor (I can get cruddy and cause a mis reading on intake temp) and new 02 sensor (a major factor)
If you want to go farther,
Sea foam your engine, using the stall out method, also in your crank case before your oil change
Run fuel system cleaner, I use techrons concentrate, then gumout With regan , you should notice a huge difference by half way thru the regan tank
Also if its high mileage use a good hm synthetic,
If you decide to seafoam I can explain further, I just got my jeep about a week ago, great shape 200k with slight tick when I got it, and about 16mpg it has 31's after a front to back tune up like described I now get 21 highway (I may be off due to tire size but still an improvement by a good bit) after the idle plunger got cleaned it idles smooth as silk and runs amazing,
the key to good mpg is efficiency, I could go on forever haha

Am I talking about the wrong part?

Woody
Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by byekryam
Am I talking about the wrong part?
Yeah, two seperate thing as previously mentioned.

The one referenced in your last post (IAT) is for engine management.

An ambient air temp sensor is for the display only.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes, so you are looking for the Intake air temp sensor. It would help to know what year your Jeep is. On an 87-90 (Renix) it's screwed into the intake manifold near the firewall. Its a brass plug looking thing with two wires coming out of it into a connector. I'm not familiar with any other years as to where it's located.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Ok, well thanks for the clarification. I am looking over the web and have seen pics from V8's and V6's, but can find a picture of where one of these would be on my inline 6 on a 94 Sport. Frustrating. Anyone have a pic of where this thing is???
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

I pulled mine outta my 89' a couple hours ago. Little bastard was caked solid with crap. Seafoamed it a couple weeks back but that didn't clean this off at all. I soaked the sensor in some more seafoam and it's clean now. Not sure how much of a difference it'll make but it needed to be done I guess.

Black89
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Black89,

Have any idea where mine would be on my 94 straight 6?

Thanks,
Wood
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

Here these should help "Googled" it. The one with the red circle is where your will be the image just shows it plugged because the guy did a relocate on his.

Black89
Attached Thumbnails Please help - Ambient air temp sensor-iat_07.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Black,

Thanks alot. All the googles I did came up with other engines.

Very helpful.

Wood
Old 02-12-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by byekryam
I have looked and looked and can't find my ambient air temp sensor. I have seen many posts on here where it should be and can't locate it in any of those places. Anyone have a pic of either the sensor where thier's is or where the wire is supposed to be where this thing is supposed to be. Extremely frustrated.
I have a question about a possible sensor and why it would be on my xj?
I have a 2000 xj without any outside temperature display in the cabin.
However, I have what I believe is a sensor that has two wires connected to it running between the battery and the fender and is located in the metal wall/structure that holds the radiator. It's loose and bouncing around between the grill and this wall/structure that holds the radiator. I'm concerned that wire chafing will occur.
It looks like it's kinda cone shaped from the wire connection point to half way through it's entire length and then becomes a cylinder.
It has two side clips that seem to be designed to hold it in place when pushed into this wall/structure. My arms are too big to reach it and I'm looking at other ways to access it, if it's important?
Any ideas?
I'd send a vid of it but don't know if this system allows?
In this vid are other plugs wires etc that I have no idea where they go.
Any help is appreciated.
Stephen
Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DocHaley
I have a question about a possible sensor and why it would be on my xj?
I have a 2000 xj without any outside temperature display in the cabin.
However, I have what I believe is a sensor that has two wires connected to it running between the battery and the fender and is located in the metal wall/structure that holds the radiator. It's loose and bouncing around between the grill and this wall/structure that holds the radiator. I'm concerned that wire chafing will occur.
It looks like it's kinda cone shaped from the wire connection point to half way through it's entire length and then becomes a cylinder.
It has two side clips that seem to be designed to hold it in place when pushed into this wall/structure. My arms are too big to reach it and I'm looking at other ways to access it, if it's important?
Any ideas?
I'd send a vid of it but don't know if this system allows?
In this vid are other plugs wires etc that I have no idea where they go.
Any help is appreciated.
Stephen
My guess is that it's the battery temperature sensor. I'm not familiar with the 2000, but I remember reading something about it.