Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre
Exclamation Please Help!

I know that most of you have been workin on cars forever, but i need to learn how to CHANGE MY OIL! To be honest, the only things that i trust myself to do under my hood are put in washer fluid and notice that something is wrong. That is pathetic......So can you all at least guide me through this task? Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated

Last edited by TruckD; 07-28-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Get yourself a service manual to teach you the basics like that Haynes or a Chiltons. The bookstore has a book called "Car repair for Dummies" don't be offended but it will talk you through most simple things like oil changes and plugs etc...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TruckD
I know that most of you have been workin on cars forever, but i need to learn how to CHANGE MY OIL! To be honest, the only things that i trust myself to do under my hood are put in washer fluid and notice that something is wrong. That is pathetic......So can you all at least guide me through this task? Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated

http://www.ehow.com/video_11_change-motor-oil.html

Here is a google search check it out.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...Search&safe=on
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Run engine for a few minutes

Drain oil in Drip pan (9/16 wrench needed)

Remove Oil Filter, Mine is straight up because it is older 87-90 yr. Your will be in the same spot but sideways.

After let it drain completly. Lube the rubber seal on new Oil Filter (not FRAM please)with oil. Just rub a lil from your finger on the rubber gasket.

Then screw back on place. Just a lil past hand tight is all you need it doesn't need a whole lot of torque.

Replace the Drain plug on OIL PAN. (9/16 wrench needed again)

Then remove the cap in the middle of the valve cover. With a funnel pour 5 quarts of your favorite oil (not Pennzoil Please).

Let sit for 5 minutes, check oil it should be close to the marks. Start engine for 5-10 minutes then recheck add if needed.

I use Bosch filters and 15/40 Rotella Oil.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
Run engine for a few minutes

Drain oil in Drip pan (9/16 wrench needed)

Remove Oil Filter, Mine is straight up because it is older 87-90 yr. Your will be in the same spot but sideways.

After let it drain completly. Lube the rubber seal on new Oil Filter (not FRAM please)with oil. Just rub a lil from your finger on the rubber gasket.

Then screw back on place. Just a lil past hand tight is all you need it doesn't need a whole lot of torque.

Replace the Drain plug on OIL PAN. (9/16 wrench needed again)

Then remove the cap in the middle of the valve cover. With a funnel pour 5 quarts of your favorite oil (not Pennzoil Please).

Let sit for 5 minutes, check oil it should be close to the marks. Start engine for 5-10 minutes then recheck add if needed.

I use Bosch filters and 15/40 Rotella Oil.
Nice writeup. But why 15/40? That's what i run in the cummins. I just changed mine and i run 5-30 in the 4.0
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Good write up Stryker. Maybe Kyle will sticky it. Still think he needs to read a book.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM

Year: 1999

for wanting to learn and do it yourself. X2 on the Chiltons or Haynes, also if you have any frineds who know how ask them if they can walk you through it as well.

BTW, if you have the sideways filter be very carefull taking the filter off, the oil pressure sensor is right next to it. Many sensors have lost their lives to oil filters being taken off.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Good write up Stryker. Maybe Kyle will sticky it. Still think he needs to read a book.

I could sticky it i just stole some pics from when i did my motormounts.

But come on its changing your Oil.

I use rotella 15/40 for the cleaning agents this is a 87 and i just think rotella is a great oil. never had a problems running the thicker oil I will drop back down to a 10 or a 5 once winter arrives.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

As for weight goes, book calls for 10-30 so that is what I use. Get yourself a Haynes, they are cheap and will save you tons of money in the long run.

Oil is a good place to start working on your car, just get down there and do it. Before you start the car check everything three times.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a tip: Sometimes the oil filter is hard to get off and you may not have the filter removal tool as shown in the picture. If it comes to this, take a screwdriver and hammer it through the side of the filter and twist with that. It's messy but gets it off.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 PM

Engine: 4.0 Litre
Cool Thank you

I wanted to buy a manual but i wasnt sure. And a didnt want to break anything i couldn't affort to have fixed if need be. (and thanks for the heads up on the oil pressure thing) Well after i get this down i can start asking you REAL questions.......mucho gracias
Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

No problem anytime. I have had to do what mudd described plenty of times also sometimes the even a filter wrench wont get them off.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah don't worry it's not too hard, even I figured it out!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TruckD
I wanted to buy a manual but i wasnt sure. And a didnt want to break anything i couldn't affort to have fixed if need be. (and thanks for the heads up on the oil pressure thing) Well after i get this down i can start asking you REAL questions.......mucho gracias
Good thing about changing oil is there isnt too much that you can break while doing it. Just make sure the recommended amount of oil is put back in and you will be quite all right.