Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PLEASE HELP

I changed my Neutral safety switch and valve cover gasket and now my jeep is misfiring or acting really weird when i start it up so i just shut it off. Tried a few times and it does the same thing. I didnt touch any wires or plugs or anything when i did the valve cover and the the NSS same thing except the NSS harness
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM

It does this in the case im even able to get it to start. Need my jeep for work so im totally at a loss here can somebody please help me out
Old 06-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Double check firing order and that ALL of the wires are fully connected. Did you knock anything around doing the valve cover? It seems like a loose wire may be all it is..
Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Maybe theres a ground that goes to one of the valve cover studs? I didnt really touch any wiring aside from trying to get a wrench in the way back for the bolt on end of valve cover, that big wire harness on the firewall i pushed it that was it.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

What yr XJ? Check for tripped codes.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Default PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted by EZEARL
What yr XJ? Check for tripped codes.

Its a 99. I got it to start again and instead of shutting it off like i was doing before i let it run. It sounded like **** but worked through it and now is doing fine and starts right up without problem. It doesnt make sense... The only thing i can think of is maybe bad engine ground or battery terminal connection. I tightened them all played with some other things etc. another thing is i accidently removed the radiator hose when i was doing valve cover because it was in the way, and it got coolant on around the closest spark plug. Maybe a combination of things? Only DTC was p0705 for the nss which i replaced so cleared the code well see how that pans out.

Last edited by Danzig; 06-19-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: fix
Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you're good to go. What gasket did you use? Any RTV? Did you clean the spark plug and wire that got the coolant on them?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Sounds like you're good to go. What gasket did you use? Any RTV? Did you clean the spark plug and wire that got the coolant on them?

I used a felpro no rtv or silicone just the gasket. It doesnt appear to be leaking but ill keep an eye on it. I also cleaned the cap and rotor on the distributor but that didnt help it must have been something else. On a side note i changed the speedo gear for tire siZe on the trans yesterday and i drove 20 miles and when i got to my destination i noticed it was pissing trans fluid all over it coated the whole underside and back window hatch with fluid so waiting for it too cool so i can reseat it.