Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

play at transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM
TDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default play at transfer case

I was having a loud rumble/vibration at highway speeds so I got under the jeep to check it out. Where the front driveshaft goes into the transfer(231) there is some play. I removed the shaft and drove it and the sound/vibration is completely gone. With the DS out I can grab what is left of the cv a shake it just a little. The movement is inside the TC. Is this normal? Should it be completely solid with no movement other than spinning. Or do you think the rumble and vibration was coming from one of the univ joints.

** I already replaced my AC evaporator,compressor, fan clutch, radiator,and installed a trans oil cooler thanks to this forum and its members. So thanks alot!!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 AM

Year: '93
Engine: 4.0L straight-6

Originally Posted by TDF
I was having a loud rumble/vibration at highway speeds so I got under the jeep to check it out. Where the front driveshaft goes into the transfer(231) there is some play. I removed the shaft and drove it and the sound/vibration is completely gone. With the DS out I can grab what is left of the cv a shake it just a little. The movement is inside the TC. Is this normal? Should it be completely solid with no movement other than spinning. Or do you think the rumble and vibration was coming from one of the univ joints.

** I already replaced my AC evaporator,compressor, fan clutch, radiator,and installed a trans oil cooler thanks to this forum and its members. So thanks alot!!
Not sure if it is supposed to have that play. but mine does have the same play you are talking about (doesn't seem to be u-joints)... looks like we r in the same boat.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Are you talking about vertical play? You should have some play so that when the angle changes from your front axel compared to your frame position, allowing for the rod to extend in and out of the transfer case, but shouldn't be causing any noise. Double check the fluid and the O seal in there to make sure it's not getting too worn out.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jakeshain
Are you talking about vertical play? You should have some play so that when the angle changes from your front axel compared to your frame position, allowing for the rod to extend in and out of the transfer case, but shouldn't be causing any noise. Double check the fluid and the O seal in there to make sure it's not getting too worn out.

when i grab the front drive shaft and spin it the play in at the input shaft...
here is a pic to get a better idea. hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails play at transfer case-np231.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

I don't think that should have any play in it what so ever, it should only spin. I would make friends with a mechanic and beat it out of him as to what he suspects it to be. I can't say for sure since the transmission and transfer case in my down fall area. Call a couple of mechanics, tell him the type of jeep you have but not the transmission or transfer case type. If they tell you that you need to bring it in to have it checked out don't go with them. If they can tell you a diagnostic as to what type of transmission you have and the various transfer cases you have and approximate cost to look into something then I would go with them if you bring it into a shop. Most shops want the vehicle, they'll diagnose, short fall you on the price, then fix it and jack the price sky high as the job was already done. Believe me, I'm sure you know the type I'm talking about.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jakeshain
I don't think that should have any play in it what so ever, it should only spin. I would make friends with a mechanic and beat it out of him as to what he suspects it to be. I can't say for sure since the transmission and transfer case in my down fall area. Call a couple of mechanics, tell him the type of jeep you have but not the transmission or transfer case type. If they tell you that you need to bring it in to have it checked out don't go with them. If they can tell you a diagnostic as to what type of transmission you have and the various transfer cases you have and approximate cost to look into something then I would go with them if you bring it into a shop. Most shops want the vehicle, they'll diagnose, short fall you on the price, then fix it and jack the price sky high as the job was already done. Believe me, I'm sure you know the type I'm talking about.
thanks for the input.. im actually going to be dropping the TC and installing a SYE kit very soon so while i have it open i will b looking for the prob..any idea of what i should b looking for?
thanks again
Old 09-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TDF

had my T-Case apart this weekend and i figured i would take a video of the internals while moving the front output yoke. Is this the same movement you were talking about?

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MOV00389.mp4