Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Plastic tube mystery

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Plastic tube mystery

1998 XJ, 4.0 - I have a small rectangular-shaped canister-looking device bolted to the bottom of the left aft side with what appears to be one 1/4" and one 3/8" plastic tubes routed forward to the engine compartment. The 1/4" line goes to the solenoid purge valve. The 3/8" tube curves up behind the engine, following the firewall vertically, and has a slightly curved flex hose about 8 inches long on the end attached to nothing. It protrudes up and forward in the vicinity of the trans dipstick and the purge solenoid, and open to atmosphere. I'm assuming the canister-looking device is the fuel vapor canister. If so, it isn't the round one depicted in the parts catalog or discussed in the service manual, that I've been able to find, and it's not on my '96. Does anyone know what's supposed to be fitted to the flex hose on the end of the 3/8" tube? Filter? I don't have a vacuum leak detection pump on this truck. The truck runs like a top, no codes or discernible vacuum loss stumbling.

Thanks.