Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

plagued with jeep starting/running issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242
Unhappy plagued with jeep starting/running issue

okay this is my issue a while back i had a stutter problem. the jeep would stutter while driving down the road almost like you hit a bump and it made the rear end hop just a little. well i let it go thinking it was bad gas or something stupid like that and just ran fuel system cleaner with water remover through it, dumped some seafoam in the throttle body and called it good. well it ran decent for a while and maybe once or twice a week would stutter a little bit but nothing major. then the progressed and got worse and worse to the point where it would actually completely cut out while driving. i.e. 70mph down the road and gauges completely go dead and jeep shuts off like a switch. well first time it happened i was mid corner on a backroad and i had to stop and change my drawers real quick cause i thought i was gonna lose it. next time it happened i was going down the highway, i clicked it up into neutral and let it coast for a minute when i turned the key it came right back to life, the rpms would shoot skyward if i tried to maintain speed and it would stick in 3rd gear. when i gave it gas to go faster it would come back into 4th. the only way i could fix this was to stop put it in park and restart it. next symptom was the ABS, abs light would come on and the ABS system would actually be disabled and wouldnt work, it was snowy out so i had a little fun with it but now its getting annoying. at this point it now refuses to start when its cold out. and usually wont start after sitting for many hours...so i finally started working on fixing it with a combination of looking through forums here, asking my local mechanic, and referring to the Haynes manual along with Google searches (wow sometimes you can find some cool **** doing that)...so im asking you guys to have a look at this video i recorded of my jeep and tell me what you think...heres a list of everything ive done so far:

brand new distributor assembly, bearings and camshaft sensor were shot in my old one.
brand new fuel pump/sending unit and wiring harness.
plugs, wires, cap & rotor.
changed out IACV and throttle position sensor
battery tested at advanced auto parts (~470 amps required, actually pushing ~575 amps)
fuel filter and various additives throught the whole time ive been struggling with it.
air filter (high flow purolator filter)
fuel pressure regulator changed (32psi at idle, 40 psi prime)
constantly looking for vacuum leaks and loose grounds
and finally a known issue that i have with it, the exhaust is in shambles....literally falling apart so any backpressure i might have isnt really there, somehow i doubt that backpressure would throw it off as much as to create this issue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=e2D_78gXv24
apologies for the **** video quality and the dark, i had to record it in the morning becuase if i record it during the day when its warmer it wont behave this way
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242

Turned out to be a bad computer....who woulda guessed?