Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PDC

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default PDC

iv just innstalled a stereo in my 88 cherokee and an extra battery.. So i connected the negative plug from the extra battery to ground and innstalled an extra cable from the battery in front to the extra battery in the back. And here comes the problems.. When i hooked the new cable on to the posetive lead on the battery on the back i thought it didnt connect to anything in the front but it did for 5 min so somethimg has shorted and now my car wont start.. And the other problem is that i cant find the power distribution center under hood of my car.. Any ideas and suggestions???
Old 07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Did you install the set up to add a second battery or just run the second battery to the existing power supply? If not you probably fried the system running 24 volts. If you did that you are in for some real work.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Looks like you are going to have some work to do so you may as well go ahead and tell us exactly what your intent was in adding the second battery, where located, how you hooked it up to the first (front) battery, size cables used and any switches or units installed to select batteries for charging and discharge to various components.

Do you have any idea what the new cable to the front that you thought was not connected to anything was actually connected to?

Someone will chime in but I'm not sure the '89 has a PDC in the same sense that 91+ models do but I may be wrong.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:46 AM

The battery in the back was to be hooked up so it would be charged by the battery in the front.. or from poitive lead in front to positive lead in back(trunck of cherokee) and the negative lead from the battery in the back to the chassie. Iv used a cable 10mm in diametre and when i hooked it up on the rear battery it was laying one screw holding the batteryclamp on the front battery.. ill try to post a drawing
the hole idea was just to ad a second battery so the amps in the back wouldnt overload the battery in the front.

Last edited by XJ.Viking; 07-25-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 AM

hope this worked and is understandeble
Attached Thumbnails PDC-kobblingsproblem.png  
Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

From what it looks like you were trying to run 24volts on the 12 volt system. I say that you are going to have to go through the entire electrical system and see what parts of it you fried. You can't run 24 volts on a 12 volt system. They have a unit that you can buy to install a second battery. You can NOT just add a second battery with out it as you have found out. Adding that second batter is now going to cost a lot more then you have imagined.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 AM

By the pic he hooked the batteries in parallel which means he has 12V with more amp capacity.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by iweb
By the pic he hooked the batteries in parallel which means he has 12V with more amp capacity.
Correct
Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM

the thing is that i havent found anythig that evens smells or looks burned.. but we took a chance and switched the ECU from a friend of mines car and my car and his car works with my ECU... and he has the PDS box along side right front fender..
so we are a bit unsure whats wrong with my car now..
my dash is picked apart and we cheked all the ignition wires and most of the other wires but nothig happens.. the fuel pump dont even start when the key is turened.
and my drawing of the Connections i made, made sence to all of you so i havent fu..ed that up either..
im going slightly mad here..

Last edited by XJ.Viking; 07-25-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 PM

Location: north of the Rio Grande, south of the Red, east of the Pecos, west of the Sabine
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche

Almost all your power leads come off the stud on the starter relay located directly behind the battery(this basically serves as the power distribution center on the Renix models). There are 5 fusible links (4 green and 1 blue) that are connected via 3 ring terminals on that stud (in addition to the 8 gauge red wire from the battery positive). My guess is that you blew one of those fusible links. Your wiring of the second battery is parallel and properly done, although I do not understand the placement of the 30 amp fuse in the positive line that runs between the batteries. In that posiition, it serves no purpose. Is it drawn correctly, or is it actually located between the positive of the second battery and whatever load that connects to that battery?

Last edited by Bobolink; 07-26-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM

The fuse is just there because the first lead was to short so i had to ad 30cm.. the only thing i had on hand to connect the wires was that fusebox and fuse.. but i found the problem and my Jeep is alive again.. some previous owner has innstalled a master kill switch betwin the stearing colum and the innside of the dash.. i didnt know about that swith but have accedently pushed it when innstaling the speaker cable to the driver door.. that switch is now relocated and im a happy camper again..
but thanks for all the help and answers :-)