Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Add Circuits To Power Distribution Center

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default How To Add Circuits To Power Distribution Center

I needed some additional power to run relays for my H4 headlamps. I didn't like the messy wiring using inline fuses and tapping into the PDC for power.

Instead, I found a very clean way to get power from the PDC and have the fuses in that panel.

You will need just a couple tools and some common sense.

Here is what the PDC looks like and how most people tap into it using the nut at the front:

If you take off the cover you'll see that there are three empty circuits that use the larger fuses:

Start by disconnecting power at the battery. Then remove the nut that holds down the main wire to the PDC:

Next, carefully pry the tabs back that hold the PDC to its holder:

Carefully turn the PDC over being careful not to stress any of the wires:

Pry back the tabs retaining the bottom cover and lift it off:

At this point you'll see there is a black plastic piece covering the metal bus that has the stud for the nut we removed. We need to get that plastic piece off but there is a wire connection in the way. To remove that connection flip the PDC back over, remove the 20A fuse (A/C clutch fuse on most models), and carefully tap that connector out by using a flat screwdriver at a 90 degree angle to the connector:

Now flip the PDC back over and remove that wire connector. Then carefully pry off that black plastic cover:

Then you will have this:

Now carefully pry off the metal bus piece. It's only held on by the friction of the connectors:

And this is what it looks like once it's off:

Next you will need some parts from the junk yard. You can get a whole PDC or take one apart and just get what you need. You'll need two *empty* connectors for each circuit you are adding (four in my case). I also took the metal bus piece just to be safe but it isn't necessary. You can pop out the connectors just like you did with the wired one above. The empty connectors are the ones in the two center rows. Here is what they look like:

The end at the right in the picture is the end that goes into the PDC. It is keyed and only goes in one way. Solder (don't try to crimp these) a wire to a connector for each circuit you want to power (two in my case):

Insert an empty connector into each spot you want to use. In this picture I have inserted two into the spots that correspond with the two upper right fuse spots (looking from the front) that I'll be using. The empty spot is for the upper left spot that will remain empty for future use:

Now insert your wired connector(s) into the corresponding spots on the outer row:

Now replace the metal bus piece and make sure it is fully seated. Check to make sure no wires are pinched and all connectors look good. Then snap the black plastic bus cover back on. After the bus cover is on insert the wired connecter that was removed back into its spot. Carefully route your new wire(s) out of the PDC the same way as the other wires. Then put the bottom cover back on, flip the PDC back over, and click it into its holder. Reinsert the fuse for the AC clutch. Then you can add a fuse (two in my case) to provide power to your circuit(s):

Then you can button everything up, reconnect the main wire at the front of the PDC, reconnect the battery, and test your new circuit(s). As a final step I labeled the top cover to reflect my two new circuits:

I believe this should work for just about any power you might need to run an accessory. That metal bus piece is a direct connection and you can fit large wire gauge in there so there is no reason you can't run even a high amperage circuit.

The whole process took me about an hour - and that included taking pictures. The extra parts from the junk yard cost me $2. This should work on any newer model and I looked at older models and they're a little different but this should apply as well. Your available spots may vary based on what exact model you have.

Have fun,

JF
Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Great idea..
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nice write up!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

That looks great, super super clean.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by patclarkbarnes
That looks great, super super clean.
X2
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by PUNISHER
X2
Thanks much. I stared at that for a long time figuring there must be a decent way to add some accessories without making a mess. I hate messy bad wiring.

JF
Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

this should be submitted to the write up section...

nice work! well laid out and easy to follow.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:02 AM

Year: 1997

***Just a note of warning. In the rear part of the PDC where the relays are the clips are held in place by little plastic tabs. Just remove the yellow cover (access their locking tabs from the bottom and they almost fall out.) to get to the lock tabs for the clips.
I was tracing down a no O2S heat when I noticed one of the clips for the ASD relay was not secure (ok I was jumping across to bypass it). Looks like the locking tab has broken off freeing the clip to slide down and not make contact.
Since I got it open I have noticed at least 2 more that are loose. Have to figure out a way to secure them again, thinking JB magik
Old 09-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I did the same thing and put my fog light relay in the PDC. Much better looking than having a relay screwed down in an awkward place.

It would have been nice to see this write up first though. Great pics and instructions.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Subbed for future project.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

I didn't know you could do this. Awesome.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 PM

Year: 1998

Sub'd
Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: I6

jefff, thanks for the great write-up and photos!

I had the notion to try this very thing for the very same reasons, and thanks to you I now know it is a reasonable thing to do.

(Oh, and Hi, all. Been lurking on here on and off for some time.)
Old 11-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

nice
Old 11-08-2014, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nice job. I did the same thing. I followed Bleepinjeep's write up on YouTube. I added an entire extra box just for accessories to easily hook up to. Used a cat5 cable to run into cab to easily hook up switches. Been running it for a year now without issues.

Quick Reply: How To Add Circuits To Power Distribution Center