Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

passenger air bag deployed???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default passenger air bag deployed???

Hey guys first post here wot! I have a 97 xj 2 door sport that I have had for about six months now. After going down the list of things to fix Im finally starting to get to the end. One of my fixes is an airbag deployed. When I purchased the truck the passenger airbag was deployed but not the drivers...weird. Any idea as to why or how and how to fix it? I have done a lot with cars but never air bags. What would be the process of putting a new one in and re-arming the system and testing it? I don't see any airbag warning lights if the truck even has any. Any help would be much appreciated guys! Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really nothing?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I highly recommend that you refer to the Factory Service Manual when working on Air Bag Systems.

You can download a pdf copy of the manual from Pacific Coast Manuals - cheap.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

Was the Jeep in an accident that cause the Air Bag deployment. If so, seems odd that the drivers bag didn't deploy as well.

Be careful when working on the Air Bag system!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I don't know how to remove the airbag, but somehow it's screwed to the dash. It would plug into the factory SRS wiring harness on the passenger's side, which is connected to the ORC circuit that uses resistors to deploy the airbags.

I would imagine that someone hit the front passenger's side of the Jeep, and NOT the front driver's side, or hit the front passenger's door, all of which would possibly cause the passenger's side airbag to deploy.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Any impact sensed by the Airbag Control Module will deploy both air bags together.

If only one is deployed the one not deployed is defective, or the squib wiring to it is defective.

When you get around to replacing the deployed air bag and look at the wiring diagrams you will see a connector identified as C205. C205 is located on the dash frame next to the steering column. See pic.

It may not be covered in the FSM but I recommend that this connector be decoupled when working on the system. It will isolate both air bags from the ABCM.

Name:  jpgAirbagQuickDisconnectC205.jpg
Views: 3554
Size:  437.7 KB