Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Partly broken dashboard backlight.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Partly broken dashboard backlight.

My dashboard is partly dark, I cant's see the oil pressure, engine temp and any speed over 100 kph.

How do I change the broken bulbs?

XJ2000 Sport 2.5td
Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

There's a lot of clutter behind the dash, I believe your best bet is to pull out the entire instrument cluster, then you can see what you are doing.
Not sure if your 2000 is different, on my '96 I can do it in about 5 minutes:
- remove the plastic surrounding the steering column (3 torx screws underneath, then the 2 halves separate and come off. You need to unscrew the tilt lever to remove the one half)
- remove the plastic cover over the electrical connector that goes to the signal light switch
- remove the entire plastic bezel of the dash. 4 screws I think. One above headlight switch, one above lighter, I forget right now where the other two are. There are clips that hold it in place by the radio, by the headlight switch, and a few other places. It pulls straight away from the dash. It's a tight fit to get it out once it's free, but it does come out. The Haynes manual says you have to remove the plug from the signal light switch, but I never do - I just removed and threw away the plastic cover from the connector.
- now you can see the 4 or 6 screws to remove the instrument cluster
- pull it towards you until you can reach the connectors behind it. Unplug the two plugs, then you have the whole thing available to fix.
- I believe the bulbs are a #168, but I replaced all mine with red LED's from superbrightleds.com. There are many write-ups on this board about it.
- LEDs or not, you probably want to replace all the illumination bulbs, to keep the illumination even. I think there are 6. I wouldn't mess with the other bulbs, but you can replace them too if you want (like signal lights, hi-beam indicator, etc.) Make sure you get the right bulb for hi-beam indicator, it's a real nuisance if it's too bright.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks for an extensive answear.

What about the airbag? The service manual is full of warnings regarding working on the car with the airbags still connected. Do I have to remove them aswell?

And bulb #168 is a Jeep specific bulb, or something I can find in any bulb-shop (Norway)?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

your cluster actually pops in and out of a "pod" of sorts, get the trim off around it and it will pull right out, then u can replace the bulbs