Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Part time

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Part time

just a quick and probably simple to answer but how do I change the light bulb? I'm very forgetful about when its in 4x4. do you have to take the whole instrument cluster apart or is there a simpler way? thanks in advanced for the advice..
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 PM

anyone...
Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 PM

I went and found my book, did a little reading, and found that you're in for a real job that will likely tax your patience. They caution you to disable your air bags, but give no info about doing that. The very first step is to disconnect your negative battery cable. To answer your question, yes, you must take apart the dashboard face, and no, it isn't simple or easy.
It looks like the front of the dash comes off in two main parts, the lower one, called "steering column opening cover", and the main piece, called
"cluster bezel". This book (Haynes) also shows that you need to remove the "knee blocker". It appears to be a straightforward job, but every time I've pulled plastic interior parts, they ended up being brittle and generally subject to breaking off the little tabs that hold these parts together. The only special tool they mention being used for this job is "a suitable wide, flat-bladed tool (such as a gasket scraper)"...................... to pry loose the edges of the plastic panels.
I know 300 words aren't worth a picture, but this is the best I can do. My Haynes manual isn't a lot of help either, but it's a start. Hope this helps.
Bob
Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 PM

I posted a reply to your question, but it didn't show up on the first page as being answered. This one might not either, who knows? Guess we'll see what we see........................
Bob
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 PM

Smile

on a 1998 cherokee, the gauge cluster comes out pretty quick. i just took mine out 2 days ago to replace with a better cluster. only 2 plastic bezels are removed.

pull the trim around the radio. it pops off. then unscrew 4 screws around the radio that attach the gauge bezel, and then pull the bezel off around the gauges. work it over the steering wheel (i let mine hang there without removing the headlight switch). then you'll have 4 more screws holding the gauges in. once the 4 screws are out, pull the gauge unit out. no need to worry about airbags, and the 2 connections that go into the gauge are attached to the dash, so you don't even have wires to disconnect.

then change that bulb out, and you're good to go. when i put the gauge cluster back in, i only use the top 2 screws to hold it in, because i'll be pulling the gauge cluster again in 2 weeks for light upgrades. whole job should take 15 minutes. 8 screws total, and clips.

Last edited by klassic; 10-31-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Do a write up for us klassic.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 AM

One heckuva lot easier than my Haynes book made it sound.
Thanks Klassic, appreciate that.
Bob
Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by klassic
on a 1998 cherokee, the gauge cluster comes out pretty quick. i just took mine out 2 days ago to replace with a better cluster. only 2 plastic bezels are removed.

pull the trim around the radio. it pops off. then unscrew 4 screws around the radio that attach the gauge bezel, and then pull the bezel off around the gauges. work it over the steering wheel (i let mine hang there without removing the headlight switch). then you'll have 4 more screws holding the gauges in. once the 4 screws are out, pull the gauge unit out. no need to worry about airbags, and the 2 connections that go into the gauge are attached to the dash, so you don't even have wires to disconnect.

then change that bulb out, and you're good to go. when i put the gauge cluster back in, i only use the top 2 screws to hold it in, because i'll be pulling the gauge cluster again in 2 weeks for light upgrades. whole job should take 15 minutes. 8 screws total, and clips.
hey thanks alot for the advice it did come off quick after referring back to your post a few times lol... anyhow it turned out to not be bulb it was the little 4x4 switch on the transfer case i just went to autozone and ordered one up, hopefully that solves it and if not i'll come back and post up more but thanks again buddy