Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

part identification needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default part identification needed

Hey all, I was rooting around my 96 SE this afternoon and found a few things that I was hoping to get identified.

1. Is what appears to be an inlet in the radiator on the passenger's side. I'm thinking it is for a secondary cooler for a tranny or something but have no idea. If my XJ wasn't holding water I would think I knew why, but she is holding fine. See the pic below. Sorry, the camera didn't focus on the image he way I wanted, but it is in the center of the photo.

2. Came from behind the dash where the rear defroster switch is. It appears to be wiring for another switch that isn't on the 96 SE model, but the plug doesn't look like the other switches. Can anyone confirm this and get the bonus points for telling me what it would have controlled?

Thanks,
s
Attached Thumbnails part identification needed-img_2671.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

i unno what it goes to bro but if anything PERM-A-TEX!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

i had that same nipple looking thing on the bottom of my radiator on my GC i leaked antifreeze all the time i always thought it was a drain of some sort ended up puting a rubber cap and hose clamp on it no clue about the connector
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

from the looks of it i would think it is for foggies but im not 100% sure according to my book the colors of the wiring should be blue black and light green if it was for foggies. the only wire that i see in the book that is brown and white is for your back up switch.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The radiator doo-dad is the drain valve. The wires are for the factory fog-light switch.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.7L stroker with 99+ intake

Originally Posted by diskman
The radiator doo-dad is the drain valve. The wires are for the factory fog-light switch.
X2 drain valve and that looks like the connector from the fog lights.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

So I love the idea of mounting foglights to the existing wiring, but my XJ didn't come with fogs. Does this mean that I have wiring setting around by my bumper just waiting to be plugged in to some fogs? I'd love to mount up some foglights! If so, now is the time to do it since the entire front end is off while I'm replacing the damaged parts.

About the radiator drain valve, I'm used to finding a 1/4 turn drain valve to open the flow. I guess the XJ has a nut you back out to open the valve? Interesting.

s
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by smtippin
So I love the idea of mounting foglights to the existing wiring, but my XJ didn't come with fogs. Does this mean that I have wiring setting around by my bumper just waiting to be plugged in to some fogs? I'd love to mount up some foglights! If so, now is the time to do it since the entire front end is off while I'm replacing the damaged parts.

About the radiator drain valve, I'm used to finding a 1/4 turn drain valve to open the flow. I guess the XJ has a nut you back out to open the valve? Interesting.

s
You can slide a hose over the nipple there and loosen the nut to drain. *OR* since your drain is going to be plugged, just unscrew the whole thing.

On my '86, I had the foglight wires there also but no wiring past the firewall, or a relay for the fogs. I ended up grabbing a stock foglight switch panel from a donor and simply using the plug with my own relay setup for my fogs. Turned out awesome. I never was able to locate where the wires ended up so I just made my own.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

You can slide a hose over the nipple there and loosen the nut to drain. *OR* since your drain is going to be plugged, just unscrew the whole thing.

On my '86, I had the foglight wires there also but no wiring past the firewall, or a relay for the fogs. I ended up grabbing a stock foglight switch panel from a donor and simply using the plug with my own relay setup for my fogs. Turned out awesome. I never was able to locate where the wires ended up so I just made my own.

Well since the nipple is easily accessible, I guess I'll be doing a coolant flush

I was thinking I might not have the rest of the wiring. I mean, I have my entire front end off and I don't see any extra wires hanging around looking to be plugged in to anything. When I was at the junkyard, I pulled a few switches. Unfortunately they were for the defroster and rear washer, which has a plug that I might not be able to figure out for wiring. I hoe I can since it would look real slick with matching switches cleanly installed. We'll see.

s