Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Parked and now wont start....help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Parked and now wont start....help please!

Heres the situation:

I drove around and everything was running just fine. I parked my jeep in my driveway. I had to replace the radiator fan switch because I noticed my fan wasn't kicking on, so I did just that. After that was done I started the car, well tried to start the car and it would only crank. I thought that was weird.

I listened for the fuel pump and couldn't hear anything so i went to the store and replaced fuel pump relay. Nothing. Then I thought it was the fuel pump itself so i dropped the tank, replaced the pump and still NOTHING. It just cranks and doesnt turn over.

I read that the crank position sensor is the culprit in situations like this...but another mystery to me is that the gas guage is reading E. I know for a fact there is gasoline in the tank because i refilled it after doing the fuel pump. If the crank sensor was bad would the gas gauge not read?

Any help with anything at all in regards to these problems would be hugely appreciated. Cheers!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

have you checked spark, dont just guess and buy a crank sensor. the guage could be the fuel sending unit bad, bad connection to sending unit or messed up gauge
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM

i checked spark but i read somewhere that if the crank sensor is shot...you wont get spark. is that true? Isnt the fuel sending unit in the fuel pump assembly that little float thing? I just put a whole new assembly in..it should be working.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Year: '97

Let's back up a bit...... Everything was OK until you replaced the fan switch (relay). After that it won't start, you can't hear the fuel pump (have you checked for pressure in the fuel line?), AND your fuel gauge is malfunctioning....

Have you tried putting the old relay back in? Maybe your new one is shorted and is scrooing up the rest of your electronics..??..

Or try it without a fan relay. Before you throw any more money into it, get it back to the way it was, when it worked.

If all you did was replace the relay, then it sounds like the relay introduced all the problems you're seeing
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM

alright so i tried everything this weekend. I went through all the fuses and relays and they are all good. I sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body and tried to fire it up and it was a no go. I pulled a plug and checked for spark and none. How can i park it and then try to start it and poof no spark? Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. TIA.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Year: 1990

sounds like the CPS exactly what mine did
Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8l v6 with some wiz bang additions

did you try what was suggested about the droppin the old relay back in? one little thing can mess with tons of stuff man.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 AM

yea i put the old relay in. If the jeep doesnt have spark though, the cps will remedy that also?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Not to imply anything, we all forget things. Did you replug the pump connection at the tank when you were finished? Unplug the connector and check for power at the connector on initial key on.
Check the ASD relay also. It powers the fuel pump and ign. circuits.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Year: 1990

the cps reads the spaces in the ring around the fly wheel it controls when the spark fires to the cylinders.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM

so after some figuring around i figured out what happened.

when i had first checked to see if my radiator fan was working i used to wires to jump the switch off the battery. I didnt realize that there were "two" switches that control the fan and i jumped the brass one by the thermostat. I guess that sensor can only hand 5v and obviously the batter voltage was too much.

I figured out i fried my computer...yea i know...wtf! Called the dealer found out what i needed in a computer (serial numbers) and found one on ebay thats an exact match to what the guy said at the dealership. I out it in and now still DOESNT START.

The fuel pump turns on, all the gauges work and everything seems to be working just wont turn over.

Any answers on why im not getting spark and its still not starting?? thanks folks.