Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

park lights dont work

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6 4.0
Default park lights dont work

i couldnt find a tread with my problem so im posting. i have a 89 xj when i got it all the lights worked but i replaced the radio and now my park lights dont work, {blowin fuses like crazy} i disconnected the radio and it was fine lights worked and no blown fuses. hooked it back up and poof there goes the fuse and my lights. all the bulbs and wires are good no shorts or bad grounds that i could find and i looked im goin to replace the switch soon. What wire would cause this to happen..........................when you install a radio plz dont cut the wires buy the harness
Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by its-my-xj-thing
i couldnt find a tread with my problem so im posting. i have a 89 xj when i got it all the lights worked but i replaced the radio and now my park lights dont work, {blowin fuses like crazy} i disconnected the radio and it was fine lights worked and no blown fuses. hooked it back up and poof there goes the fuse and my lights. all the bulbs and wires are good no shorts or bad grounds that i could find and i looked im goin to replace the switch soon. What wire would cause this to happen..........................when you install a radio plz dont cut the wires buy the harness
I do not have your problems because; When I install a sound system, always install new wire. (don't use factory harness) My head unit, I run the constant power (red) lead to the battery, along with the (Black) ground. the switched (yellow) lead to the fuse box. The stereo comes on/off with the key. And doesn't lose memory, while off. And it doesn't mess up other wiring, and functions in the car. The amp. (pos. & neg. heavy ga. wire) is also ran to the battery. I install new speaker wire too, and use the old wire to help snake it through, the tough spots.......................JMO!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

you probably hav a cut hot wire touching ground somewhere in the back of the stereo.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

I agree on the loose wires. Double check you're wiring and make sure the ones not in use are capped off.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:05 AM

thanks ima prolly run new wire im new to doin alot of my own work but i wanna do this build myself to get the accomplishment of knowing that i did it but ima need some help along the way after i get this fixed im installing a sunroof and fender flares cutting off some of the fenders and running 32s until i get the lift i want.........paying bills take so much outa my jeep budget......thanks for the info guys
Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 AM

i pulled the radio out and capped all the wires still no lights im replacing the headlamp switch and running over the wires again
Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM

checked all fuses and replaced the switch all radio wires are taped up and good but its still blowin fuses ima prolly take it to the shop wednesday
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM

radio and all wires are 100% it was a wire on the back hatch that was not ment to be plugged up and it was a power to a ground....parklights instrument panel and licsence plate light run on same circut