Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Painting springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM
.:.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Painting springs?

The springs on my XJ are a little rusty and don't look that great. I think it would greatly improve the overall look if I painted them. How should I prep them and what kind of paint should I use? Right now they are unpainted and have surface rust on them. I was thinking about using some kind of rust removing gel, then priming them with zinc primer, and then painting them like a fire engine red and applying a clear coat. Would that be the most proper way to do it? Or am I missing a step or should I use something else? Maybe a wire wheel instead of the gel? I watched some videos of the Hoonigan folks doing it and they just spray painted them. That doesn't seem like the best or most durable way to go about it. I would really appreciate hearing some of your expert opinions. I want the paint job to last as long as possible. They would probably end up looking worse if they had bright paint and then started rusting through because the rust would be contrasted even more than it is now.

Also, my friend said there was some kind of "trick" I could use to easily remove the springs. Something about pulling partially into a ditch and then just being able to easily pull them out if I got it at the right angle. What do you folks think about this method of removing them? What would be the best way in your opinion? If I did it this way I think I might have to disconnect the anti-rock sway bars.

I would prefer spending more time on the project in order for a better quality result. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1999, 1996X3, 1997
Engine: 4.0

Getting the springs in and out is the easy part. jack the front up and put jack stands under the body. let the front axle hang off the ground and get a spring compressor tool. remove the hold down on the bottom of the spring and they should come out fairly easily. as for the look of them, id get new springs and rattle can them, but if you want to reuse the old ones try a rust inhibitor. por15 works good and is fairly inexpensive for a small amount and can be painted over with any color. maybe use a wire brush or wheel to clean them up first.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

Evaporust or krud kutter to remove the rust. Or just sand blast or wire wheel them. Once cleaned up use rust bullet or chassis saver. Then you could paint red over them. Or an etching primer or red oxide primer first and then paint.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:26 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 608 Likes on 518 Posts
Year: 96

clean them with a pressure washer.

Google "rust removal by electrolysis" which is the best way to clean a spring of all rust

preferably use a 2pac primer on the springs, if not a hard epoxy, then the color of your choice, red looks good imo