Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Painting Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 L
Exclamation Painting Rims

Going into the painting frame of mind after painting the trim pieces yesterday. Gonna take the "chrome" hub caps off and paint the crappy rim it's self. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to do it? Is the stock 5 spoke rim painted? Do I need a paint stripper? Any ideas/previous write-ups would be perfect. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

green scuff pad to get a nice surface to paint to. good primer then hit it with the color of your choice. I like the Hammered paints gives a cool texture and a mate finish, not flat but not gloss.

my GF 96 with hammered painted wheels
Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Irongrave
green scuff pad to get a nice surface to paint to. good primer then hit it with the color of your choice. I like the Hammered paints gives a cool texture and a mate finish, not flat but not gloss.

my GF 96 with hammered painted wheels
Hammered? Krylon if I'm not mistaken. Is it like a bed liner type texture? What about the paint thats already on the stock wheel? Also what do you consider to be a "good" primer
Old 02-20-2011, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Rustolium product, and its textured but not where near bed liner.

her wheels were painted silver from the factory and we scuffed most of it off down black steel.

a good primer i like either a self etching or red automotive grade.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Irongrave
Rustolium product, and its textured but not where near bed liner.

her wheels were painted silver from the factory and we scuffed most of it off down black steel.

a good primer i like either a self etching or red automotive grade.
ohhh Gotcha. I'm not to sure if I'm gonna like the textured look. May stick with the matte black. Gonna ask the people. Did you get it at automotive store or home store (HD/Lowes)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i paint cars, and it really all depends on what your looking for. if your just gonna spray paint i would just scuff them can prime them and paint them. if you want a quality finish i would go to a local paint supplier tell them your painting chrome or bare metal and they will get you a bare metal primer which has high acid content to assure it sticks then paint them. oh of course you still need to scuff all of the surface thoroughly
Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Engine: 4.0 Litre straight 6

heres a little write up i did and a link that I used to help me along the way, i also used an adhesion promoter after the sanding and before the primer, and made sure to remove all dust and dirt particles before priming, make sure that you can take your time and prep good as always with paint and it should come out great!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ho...16/#post483676
Old 02-20-2011, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by camoed90XJ
i paint cars, and it really all depends on what your looking for. if your just gonna spray paint i would just scuff them can prime them and paint them. if you want a quality finish i would go to a local paint supplier tell them your painting chrome or bare metal and they will get you a bare metal primer which has high acid content to assure it sticks then paint them. oh of course you still need to scuff all of the surface thoroughly
When it coms to the sanding, what grit?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Upstatejeep
heres a little write up i did and a link that I used to help me along the way, i also used an adhesion promoter after the sanding and before the primer, and made sure to remove all dust and dirt particles before priming, make sure that you can take your time and prep good as always with paint and it should come out great!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ho...16/#post483676
I saw yours. You kinda gave me the idea . What paint and primer did you use? also, I'm not gonna take the wheels off, maybe just the nuts, how did you take the center cap off?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by cf1k1
When it coms to the sanding, what grit?
when it comes to sanding where you finish is how the finish is going to look. if your thinking metallic then 600 grit should be your finish at minimum although if you work with prestigious jobs 800 would be finish. are you going to spray paint or gun spray? are the wheels painted or chromed? scotch brite GREEN is comparable to 400 grit RED is 600 grit and GREY is 800 if you use red your almost assured that your finish will be up to par and you wont have to work too hard at it. sand free is also a good option, it is essentially a acetone or chemical that softens up previous paint so that new paint can adhere. and adhesion promoter is basically a static cling method that makes the surface attract paint always have to use it on plastics.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by camoed90XJ
when it comes to sanding where you finish is how the finish is going to look. if your thinking metallic then 600 grit should be your finish at minimum although if you work with prestigious jobs 800 would be finish. are you going to spray paint or gun spray? are the wheels painted or chromed? scotch brite GREEN is comparable to 400 grit RED is 600 grit and GREY is 800 if you use red your almost assured that your finish will be up to par and you wont have to work too hard at it. sand free is also a good option, it is essentially a acetone or chemical that softens up previous paint so that new paint can adhere. and adhesion promoter is basically a static cling method that makes the surface attract paint always have to use it on plastics.
I want a matte look. The rims aren't prevously chromed. Matte grey. And also, will be spray painting. No gun
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM

I saw yours. You kinda gave me the idea . What paint and primer did you use? also, I'm not gonna take the wheels off, maybe just the nuts, how did you take the center cap off?
Well thats awesome, i used a rustoleum paint that was a flat black with a little texture, cant remember the name of it, and just used a basic automotive primer and adhesion promoter, got them from my local auto store, I would suggest you take them off, i have always felt that if your gonna do something, might as well do it right make things easier down the road, it makes everything easier and look better when there off, you might get overspray on all of your hub components unless you mask really well, the center caps come off with three little Phillips head screws if i remember correctly, I didnt paint my center caps again because they were in pretty good shape, but what ever you do, if your doing it yourself then thats awesome! great way to learn, just trying to save you some headaches.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Upstatejeep

Well thats awesome, i used a rustoleum paint that was a flat black with a little texture, cant remember the name of it, and just used a basic automotive primer and adhesion promoter, got them from my local auto store, I would suggest you take them off, i have always felt that if your gonna do something, might as well do it right make things easier down the road, it makes everything easier and look better when there off, you might get overspray on all of your hub components unless you mask really well, the center caps come off with three little Phillips head screws if i remember correctly, I didnt paint my center caps again because they were in pretty good shape, but what ever you do, if your doing it yourself then thats awesome! great way to learn, just trying to save you some headaches.
And the best thing is, I am still young (16 y/o) so I got a lot of time haha. Was it rustoleum hammered?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM

I want a matte look. The rims aren't prevously chromed. Matte grey. And also, will be spray painting. No gun
the nice thing about spray paint is its designed to stick to everything. or it has a high acid content. if i were you i would make sure the wheels are clean as in really clean. you can use soap and water with a scotch brite pad and clean them all up rinse and dry then go over them again dry with pad and spray away. should give you a pretty nice finish. if you want a pro look then follow all steps including promoter, primer, then paint. you can even bake them for a more professional look
Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 AM

it could have been the hammered, not sure, you can use anything you want as long as you prep good and take your time during the process, thats the best thing you can do when painting anything, and then you can sit back and enjoy the new look of your Jeep, it makes it look like a whole new vehicle!

Quick Reply: Painting Rims