Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Paint Job???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job???

How much could this possibly run? And has anyone painted there cherokee before?

Last edited by Baughman92; 09-23-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

A pro paint job could cost you allot. But where you save is in the prep work. If you do your own prepping and take your time doing so you can get a high dollar finish at half the cost. Call around to different shops get prices. Macco dose some nice work at lowwer prices. But all in all I'd just keep it white.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ltr

personal prefrence, keep it white or sell it and buy a black one, could work out cheaper that way.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

If you take that to a professional body shop, depending upon how much work it needs, you're looking at 3 to 5k. Probably what your Jeep is worth. It'd be a good time to learn a new skill. You could take classes at a local vocational school cheaper.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 AM

DON'T PAINT IT BLACK!!!!!!!!
I just got rid of a black on black BMW and am so glad. First off it is hard to put into words how hot the car gets in the sun. The number 1 thing that hurts seats and dashes are the heat, and black shows everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. White is the easiest color to keep clean because it is white and even if dirty it looks shiney, you have to keep black perfictly clean to look good. O and everytime a little branch touchs the Jeep it will leave a spot not as shiney, and that means a mark the will take 30 mins to remove. So think of how many little branches hit your rig when you on the trail, and how much time it will take. I think black on a CAR look grrrrreat, but on a trail rig it's a wast of money. Now I'll get off my soap box and say,"Hey it's YOUR XJ so do what YOU like."
Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by superquadguy
DON'T PAINT IT BLACK!!!!!!!!
I just got rid of a black on black BMW and am so glad. First off it is hard to put into words how hot the car gets in the sun. The number 1 thing that hurts seats and dashes are the heat, and black shows everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. White is the easiest color to keep clean because it is white and even if dirty it looks shiney, you have to keep black perfictly clean to look good. O and everytime a little branch touchs the Jeep it will leave a spot not as shiney, and that means a mark the will take 30 mins to remove. So think of how many little branches hit your rig when you on the trail, and how much time it will take. I think black on a CAR look grrrrreat, but on a trail rig it's a wast of money. Now I'll get off my soap box and say,"Hey it's YOUR XJ so do what YOU like."
Why would you assume that he takes his Jeep on a trail? Could be a DD.
But I do agree with you on the problems with a black vehicle. My DD is black & a huge pain to keep looking good.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0l

I just keep my black covered in MUD!

No biggie!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

I always wondered why paint jobs cost so much until I painted my truck myself,I spent a week preping it and and a day painting,and spent 1,500 in supplies. If I was to add up my time it would have easily cost me $5,000. The plus was I learned alot and it turned out great. You cannot get a quality paint job for lees than $3,000,I think that is actually low.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by EvilBlackXJ
I just keep my black covered in MUD!

No biggie!
Damn right that makes two of us, its the easiest way to keep it clean
Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a '91 F150 a while back and did all the prep work myself. Only had the body shop spray the paint with no clear and it was about $1100. But a factory finish is going to cost a lot more. I sold the truck soon after and more then made my money back, new paint makes buyers happy. I want to get the Jeep back to a factory finish but spending more on paint then what I paid for it is hard to justify.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:58 PM

O and black it the hardest to paint, well waht i mean is the prep work has to be more then perfict. every lil wave and blim in the body work is amp up with black paint.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO
Default OD Green

You could paint it Olive Drab Green. Hehe It's the color of my friends jeep. He did the paint job himself too, but it only cost him 25 dollars. Then again he used cans of spray. Dont want to assume your going turdin with it but if ya ar I'd stick with original paint or throw blotches of crazy reflective paint on it. Think of the posibilities...keeps cool during the summer, and when you get a natural pin stripe on it, you tell yourself oh well and get that dagum can and spray it again. I have painted my red one on the 1/4 panels black, then threw some sand on it let it dry and threw sprayed it some some, gives it that rhino look without the rhino. I'll get pics loaded soon it look sweeet.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

I'd say get some grey and black spray paint and some tape and do some urban camo

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Urban%...lar%20Knit.jpg
Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mixed89
I always wondered why paint jobs cost so much until I painted my truck myself,I spent a week preping it and and a day painting,and spent 1,500 in supplies. If I was to add up my time it would have easily cost me $5,000. The plus was I learned alot and it turned out great. You cannot get a quality paint job for lees than $3,000,I think that is actually low.
X2

More people should try to do a professional quality paint job just once. The quality supplies cost a fortune and it is a lot of work especially to change the color. paint under the hood, trunk, inside the doors LOTS of work. Not to mention it does take some skill to make it all smoof.

My advice is buy a black one, even if it needs a repaint it will be cheaper, unless you take it to some hack that uses tractor enamel and paints over the emblems.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 4.0L

Do the paint job yourself, use duplicolor's "paint shop" paints. Easy step by step directions.
This is what im going to use when i paint my XJ. Duplicolor Hugger Orange will be my poison. Also check out some Vids on youtube under Duplicolor paint shop.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

Quick Reply: Paint Job???