Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

P0432 CEL Code, determined bad cat, what/how to replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default P0432 CEL Code, determined bad cat, what/how to replace it?

UPDATE 24JUL11

Can anyone help me out with locating the catalytic converter/downpipe section for a 2000 Cherokee XJ. It is the newer model that bolts the the header and is weld in to the exhaust. I need one that is CALIFORNIA COMPLIANT! Seems everything i find is NON Cal compliant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Hey guys,

Need some help and it seems no auto store can give me a straight answer. I have a 2000 Cherokee XJ which has the newer exhaust manifold/header design. I just threw a P0432 CEL code and a local shop determined it to be a bad cat. Here is where my confusion lies.

The shop that diagnosed the code said they couldn't do it because its weld in. So I called and exhaust shop and they said they just replace the whole thing. So I started to look around and it looks like to me that the cats are NOT weld in. From what I've seen its a two piece exhausted manifold/header that goes from 6 to 2. Then that leads to a downpipe section which is where the two cats are located. Then this leads to the exhaust. From what I see everything is bolt on. With that said it seems like I should be able to just replace the cat/downpipe section and leave the exhaust manifold/header alone. Am I right? Am I completely missing something?

Please help I'm pounding my head against a wall, and before everyone starts saying to "just cut them out," I can't I live in CA.

Thanks

Will

Last edited by 1FSTREX; 07-24-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
Hey guys,

Need some help and it seems no auto store can give me a straight answer. I have a 2000 Cherokee XJ which has the newer exhaust manifold/header design. I just threw a P0432 CEL code and a local shop determined it to be a bad cat. Here is where my confusion lies.

The shop that diagnosed the code said they couldn't do it because its weld in. So I called and exhaust shop and they said they just replace the whole thing. So I started to look around and it looks like to me that the cats are NOT weld in. From what I've seen its a two piece exhausted manifold/header that goes from 6 to 2. Then that leads to a downpipe section which is where the two cats are located. Then this leads to the exhaust. From what I see everything is bolt on. With that said it seems like I should be able to just replace the cat/downpipe section and leave the exhaust manifold/header alone. Am I right? Am I completely missing something?

Please help I'm pounding my head against a wall, and before everyone starts saying to "just cut them out," I can't I live in CA.

Thanks

Will

So its weld in. Cut it off and have someone weld in another. No big deal.

Flash
Old 07-23-2011, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

You said you got a 2000. Are you sure it's welded on. I have an 01 with a dual cat and it was attached to the manifold with 4 bolts 2 on each of the cat heads and then it bolted onto the downstream pipes. I just redid my cat and I only replaced the cat and nothing else. This might be crazy but go under her and snap a pic if you can. It is possible though it's welded but let's hope they wrong
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
You said you got a 2000. Are you sure it's welded on. I have an 01 with a dual cat and it was attached to the manifold with 4 bolts 2 on each of the cat heads and then it bolted onto the downstream pipes. I just redid my cat and I only replaced the cat and nothing else. This might be crazy but go under her and snap a pic if you can. It is possible though it's welded but let's hope they wrong
I think you might be right. From what I was told, early model 00s had weld in. late model 00s and 01s had bolt on seperate cats. I was told per my VIN, I have weld in, but everything I see online is bolt on. I need to check my jeep and see what mine is.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

I think you might be right. From what I was told, early model 00s had weld in. late model 00s and 01s had bolt on seperate cats. I was told per my VIN, I have weld in, but everything I see online is bolt on. I need to check my jeep and see what mine is.
It's easy to check. And as long as it is bolt on it's very easy to do but you'll need a lift and long ratchet for the main cat
Old 07-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

Yes you can just replace the double cat y-pipe after your header,but is it one of those or the third one Either way its easy but pull them out to make it simple even easier since you said the header is new then just cut the bolts off at the other end of the header pipe.But for po432-2/1 code possiable causes are (1.) mechanical problem (2.) exhaust leak (3.) catalytic converter 2/1 (4.) upstream o2 sensor older than downstream 02 sensor (5.) catalyst 2/1 efficiency failure does not reoccur.This is from my 2000 xj FSM.So you might not need a new converter.So check the map sensor check for exhaust leaks and also test the o2 sensors.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright guys, took the Jeep to a local shop and they diagnosed it and said it was a bad cat. My Jeep is bolt on from the header to the cat but its weld on from the downpipe/cat to the exhaust. So looks like i will still have to take it to a muffler shop to have them weld it on. Thanks for all the help i think i should be able to rectify this situation.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Alright guys, took the Jeep to a local shop and they diagnosed it and said it was a bad cat. My Jeep is bolt on from the header to the cat but its weld on from the downpipe/cat to the exhaust. So looks like i will still have to take it to a muffler shop to have them weld it on. Thanks for all the help i think i should be able to rectify this situation.
uh no. Did the code say the main cat. I had a code for three years for my main cat changed it and all is good. 250 at advanced auto direct bolt on. Dont spend senslesss money just yet
Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 cherokee which originally had a bolted on catalytic converter, but since jeeps are easy to crawl under without a lift, it was easily stolen by removing bolts. So had them weld on the new one in order to try to prevent it from being stolen again. Perhaps that's why you have a weld on also.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ogmeme
I have a 2001 cherokee which originally had a bolted on catalytic converter, but since jeeps are easy to crawl under without a lift, it was easily stolen by removing bolts. So had them weld on the new one in order to try to prevent it from being stolen again. Perhaps that's why you have a weld on also.
im sorry that it was stolen those are wanted piececs. But if they want it theyll get it ive seen ppls that it cut off like nothinf.g
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Well the part where the cat meet the header is bolt on. but it looks like where the cat meets the exhaust is weld on. So i will still have to take it to a muffler shop. Now its just trying to find the right part i need.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Seasoned Member

UPDATE 24JUL11

Can anyone help me out with locating the catalytic converter/downpipe section for a 2000 Cherokee XJ. It is the newer model that bolts the the header and is weld in to the exhaust. I need one that is CALIFORNIA COMPLIANT! Seems everything i find is NON Cal compliant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will
Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

UPDATE 24JUL11

Will
check advancedauto.com, thats where i got my 01 non cali bolt on. Napa also carries them. 209-300 dollars. They have it for sure
Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

Napa has them also.That code is for the one closest to the firewall.p432 (2/1) your back cat and the front cat code is p420 (1/1) . just for future ref. Also for the o2 sensors front two are referd as pipe one top o2 1/1 below cat on pipe one o2 1/2. The second pipe (firewall side) top o2 2/1 lower o2 is 2/2. Just a bit of info that might be handy sometime.