Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
View Poll Results: What should I do to fix overheating issue?
Replace the radiator (I plan on upgrading to the newer radiator with a cap)
0%
Replace the water pump
0%
Replace both
100.00%
Replace the Jeep (not really an opinion but that was my wifes idea)
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Overheating issues

Ok, so I just drove 1000 miles in my Jeep and it is having an overheating issue and I wanted to get everyones opinion on what they think I should do to correct the problem.

A little background: purchased the jeep with had head - oil sat in the coolant system for over a year - previous owner stopped driving it right away (or so he said)

Symptoms: Overheats (never actually let it get to the red... only let it get to about 230 before pulling over and letting it cool) when I am driving over 65 mph and when the temp outside is 70 degrees or above. If I drive in cold weather, I have drive as fast as I want (never went faster than 75). If I drive at 65 mph the temp stays steady at about 210 (way higher than I want it to sit)

So what do you think I should do?

Edit since a1racer made a good point about lack of information:

I have replaced the t-stat, flushed the radiator (using both the flush fluid and the garden hose) I did all of that stuff before I ever knew the truck was going to have problems with overheating. I just knew that since the truck had oil in the coolant system it would need to be flushed. I always replace the t-stat whenever I have the engine apart - I don't trust a $5 chunk of metal that can be so important.

Last edited by 89Cherokee; 03-17-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

this is a useless poll you need to check the rad and flush it also why replace the parts if they don't need to be try flushing the rad and getting a new thermostat first and see if that helps. don't go replacing things with out doing some work to see what the problem really is
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM

Year: 2000 XJ Classic,
Engine: XJ 4.0
I have delt with some overheating problems, on a nother note, I purchased my 00' XJ brandnew with 18 miles on it and I am at currently at 200K, with a fresh remanufactured engine, and in both of them I always ran 190 degrees stat, and both motors always have ran around 210, My electric fan only comes on at about 215-220, I put a knew rad in my a couple of months ago and did have a problem with a airlock, (which i had had issues with in the past changing out stats over time, ) ultimently I had to "prime the Heater coreVia the lines from the stat gooseneck, I hope any of this might help and good luck, It probley wouldn't be bad to change out the water pump if oil has been aloud in the system.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

If it's an '89 as your name implies, is has closed cooling system and probably needs to be burped. Very common in that system.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 91 overheated on the way home after I bought it. Stopped and removed the tstat, and it still over heated. Took me 2.5 hours to make a 45 minute drive. Turns out the engine had built up internal corrosion from sitting for a couple of years. When it reached full operating temp some of the corrosion broke loose and clogged up water ports in the head. Replaced the head gasket, flushed the engine and rad, new water pump, hoses, and tstat. I still see the temp gauge climb on real hot days in slow traffic. I will be replacing the radiator this summer as well as installing hood vents I pick up at the jy today.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by winston427
My 91 overheated on the way home after I bought it. Stopped and removed the tstat, and it still over heated. Took me 2.5 hours to make a 45 minute drive.
Sheesh. That would have pissed me off somethin fierce. Hey, how old is your little one?

s
Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
My 91 overheated on the way home after I bought it. Stopped and removed the tstat, and it still over heated. Took me 2.5 hours to make a 45 minute drive. Turns out the engine had built up internal corrosion from sitting for a couple of years. When it reached full operating temp some of the corrosion broke loose and clogged up water ports in the head. Replaced the head gasket, flushed the engine and rad, new water pump, hoses, and tstat. I still see the temp gauge climb on real hot days in slow traffic. I will be replacing the radiator this summer as well as installing hood vents I pick up at the jy today.
I don't think it is plugged water ports in the head (i just replaced the head gasket). The reason I think it might be a bad radiator is that the reason the head gasket goes out has a lot to do with overheating. I would rather fix it now before it becomes a problem. I am in North Dakota right now, so I don't need to worry about overheating right now (so freaking cold here, now I just hope the poor truck will start in the morning)

I will try reburping the system but I just ordered new radiator (non closed system) and will be doing the rework of the cooling system

So you don't think I should replace the water pump?