Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheating and hose issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating and hose issue

In the spirit of Minnesota winter, my beloved Jeep overheated at 1 am, in -11.
I can see fluid in the antifreeze tank. I hear what sounds like the pump engaging (but it sounds dry). Looking underneath I see that a hose on the driver's side is both unplugged from somewhere.
Normally I would have crawled under and located where it needs to plug back into. But the hose is also severed. How? Well, in a Murpheys law manner, Jeep lurched forward on tow dolly ( only 1/4 from home) and that hose was cut clean.

So, I am not sure if that hose actually does anything at all in regard to cooling. Or if it was unplugged or otherwise damaged before the tow incident. It is thick black and has the #34611 and has nipple end. One search returned indicated it was a axle breather hose, but that did not really make sense.

Can someone confirm if that being unplugged would impact the cooling of the engine. I apologize if this is a really obvious one.

PS - I am the original owner and think my Jeep has lots of life left. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks- Avin
Attached Images    

Last edited by Avinlea; 12-30-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

A picture of the hose would help to identify it. That said, the only hoses that can affect your cooling system are connected to your radiator or heater core/t-stat housing. Are any of those hoses damaged?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM

Default hose damage

Originally Posted by playbass
A picture of the hose would help to identify it. That said, the only hoses that can affect your cooling system are connected to your radiator or heater core/t-stat housing. Are any of those hoses damaged?
Sorry- I misread your original reply. I checked and the cooling system hose to radiator looks ok. The other hose off of the reserve tank looks ok as far as I can follow it. No fluid is on the ground.

I am just perplexed on why it is overheating when there is no leak present and I have checked other fluids. (My oil is dirty, but there is plenty of it.)

The one hose I mentioned earlier is cut, I think from the mishap with the tow. Added photos above and here is the remaining piece of hose that is still in place on the drivers side.
Attached Thumbnails Overheating and hose issue-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by Avinlea; 12-30-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: revised entry
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

'01 Cherokee had the notorious and dreaded 0331 head. They are real prone to cracking between #3 and #4 cylinders.

Remove the oil filler cap and shine a flashlight back there and see if you see a crack. That is only the first step. There are numerous postings on this site as to what to look for.

I'm at work so don't have a lot of time to walk you through this. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks! I will read more about this and then bundle back up. It is ungodly cold here today.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

The hose pic you posted is the front differential breather hose......unrelated to the cooling system. Replace it when the weather is more tolerable.

My first thought is this. Is your coolant able to handle -11 degrees? It's not frozen somewhere and not circulating is it? Seen that crack blocks before.....not pretty.

I feel your pain about the temperature. I'm just south of you and was working on my cooling system yesterday outside.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Flowpro
The hose pic you posted is the front differential breather hose......unrelated to the cooling system. Replace it when the weather is more tolerable.

My first thought is this. Is your coolant able to handle -11 degrees? It's not frozen somewhere and not circulating is it? Seen that crack blocks before.....not pretty.

I feel your pain about the temperature. I'm just south of you and was working on my cooling system yesterday outside.
Thanks for confirming on the breather hose. Coolant is rated for our crazy cold and checked. it is circulating.

My roommate thought it was the thermostat. Replaced, no change. The only thing is that for as hot as the engine is getting, the system is not kicking out any heat inside.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Avinlea
Thanks for confirming on the breather hose. Coolant is rated for our crazy cold and checked. it is circulating.

My roommate thought it was the thermostat. Replaced, no change. The only thing is that for as hot as the engine is getting, the system is not kicking out any heat inside.
Sounds like heater cores plugged are both small hoses to it hot like main radiator hoses ?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Default Running now :)

Originally Posted by freegdr
Sounds like heater cores plugged are both small hoses to it hot like main radiator hoses ?
Hoses not hot. I did replace the water pump and water inlet pipe. The old pump does not seem to be damaged (inlet pipe was pretty junky), but all is working well now. Including the heat into the Jeep.

The antifreeze that came out of the radiator was not as vibrant, but no other tell tale signs.