Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overhead Console wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Overhead Console wiring

I have a 92 that did not come with the factory overhead console. I have picked one up with the wiring that runs from the dash to the console but my question is, I only have the harness that connects to what runs under the dash. Is there more of the harness that I need to pick up or are all wiring harnesses behind the dash on 92's the same?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Basically the same.question, though I didnt get the whole wiring harness down to the dash or whatever. I can probably go back and get the rest of the harness and whatever modules are needed. I plan on putting them into two jeeps, and have one mounted already.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I just did this in my 90 xj all you needed was the harness that goes down the a piller to under the dash, and the air temp sensor that goes behind the bumper. Its all plug and play, the one connecter is just hanging there by the kick panel and the other is the dome lights which you need to disconnect the old dome light harness and plug in the new one with the console, you will have one extra connector from the overhead console end which you dont worry about, its for the security alarm if you had one. I got some pics i'll try to post.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The blue is the dome light connecter and the red is the second connector for the temp/compass etc which is just hanging somewhere under the lower panel

after they were connected

Dont worry about this red connector

and the sensor, the wires for it are tucked in with the factory fog light wires
Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Thats awesome info, unfortunately it appears that I sliced up the wiring harness too badly to be of much use... However, I played around with it today and was able to get the lights working again. With the pigtail, it was simply a matter of verifying the theory of operation, and matching up the colors: black to ground (frame), pink to the pink in the two pin connector, and yellow to yellow. Now the rear console.lights light up when the door is opened, and front or rear light when switched on. Im only concerned that if all the lights were on at the same time it might fry the thin wire. The wiring pigtail has thicker guage wire in it that ran all the lighting (visor lamps), but the wiring in the jeep is too thin. Im only running one rear bulb and one front bulb until I can find LEDs or a complete harness.

Good to know that if I do find some.harnesses ill have complete consoles. Important just hoping that some.of.the temp.sensors Ive.ccollected over the years will.work.