Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overhead Console Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 il 6
Default Overhead Console Quit Working

I have tried searching for this topic online and have had no success. I have 2-1990 jeep Cherokees with the Laredo package and the overhead console. The computers in both consoles have stopped working when they were at 18 and 19 years of age. When I took them apart, I discovered what appears to be 3 resistors that have burned up on the circuit board (circled in the picture below). Both jeeps have the exact same problem. I have obtained an additional one from an early 90s Cherokee in the junk yard and it had the same problem. It seems that this is a common problem with these computer units with that age. I even took the unit to an electronics buddy. Without a wiring schematic or single line diagram, he could not fix the circuit. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is there a way to fix the burned up circuit? What causes this to happen? Is there a way to avoid this problem occurring on a working unit? Any help is MUCH appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

On my 95 I had a similar issue except when my compass/temp display died it allowed the "magic smoke" to escape from some of the components while I was driving down the road (scared the crap out of me)! I was lucky to have another display, that was also dead, but on another circuit so I swapped the parts over. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a schematic of the board so I cannot tell if they are resistors, capacitors, or inductors.
If you have another display it is possible to remove and replace the components but, what I found when I fixed mine, the traces under the damaged components were damaged as well so I had to do some creative wiring to get it to work again.
If it'll help I'll pull mine out and ohm check the components to get a better idea of what they are. Most of the components, with the exception of the vacuum display and the large IC's, can be found at mouser.com or digikey.com .

Cliff
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine's a '97. Similar problem = compass/temp display dashes. Elapsed time does work. Replaced the whole console twice with same display. Some say it's really the BCM under the dash??? But I read that's a pain as the Dealer has to "computerize" it if you replace it (???).
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 PM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Snowbucks
Mine's a '97. Similar problem = compass/temp display dashes. Elapsed time does work. Replaced the whole console twice with same display. Some say it's really the BCM under the dash??? But I read that's a pain as the Dealer has to "computerize" it if you replace it (???).
If I recall, on the 97's and up the inputs for the overhead console come from the BCM so that may be your only choice.

Cliff
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM

My compass/temp gauge also died. When I first got it, the the numbers on the screen lit but not completely and now it doesn't work at all. I'm gonna make sure that all the plugs and temp sensor is plugged in but I'm thinking it's either the screen or the circuit board that's messed up.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Default Burnt resistors

Is there anyone out there that has a working console that would be nice and check the resistance value on those 3 resistors for all of us with burnt resistors. Plus this will help you when yours burn out.

Thank You
Everyone with burnt resistors
Old 06-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Default please, anyone.

Is there not someone out here who could let us all know the value of the 3 burnt resistors? PLEASE SOMEONE

Thank you.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I have the same problem with my Xj, but both bottons were melted because of the heat, i changed those bottons and .... nothing...., then i got a zj´s OH module, because mine is 94´ and it is very difficult to find this part in México,.. i will try to make a sort of frankenstein with both, but i am not sure about the results...i´ll let you know what will happen !!!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM

Default and finally.....

Guys, you are not going to believe this,.... THE F.CK.NG THING IS WORKING NOW!!!!!. I just resolded all litlle parts inside the rig, changed 2 filters, 33 microfaradius and 50 volts; cleaned all the tinny electronic components with thinner, checked the 9 wires of the harness and IT JUST WORKED AS NEW !!
Maybe yours can be fixed also!!!, a friend of mine told me that, when electronic components are exposed to moisture for extended periods of time, they just got "sulfate" on it and this substance doesn´t allow electric current flows properly, so you must clean those components with thinner. I did it and i am very, very happy with the results!!!
Try searching by " cherokee sport ´95 overhead console manual " ( all cherokees from 1991- 1995 have the same wiring system, only changes the equipment) good luck and i hope this could help you.... cheers from México.!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM

check the info i put above, it could help you, good luck!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxxtreme
I just resolded all litlle parts inside the rig, changed 2 filters, 33 microfaradius and 50 volts; cleaned all the tinny electronic components with thinner, checked the 9 wires of the harness and IT JUST WORKED AS NEW !!
What exactly does all this mean? lol. Did you just clean the compass motherboard/card with thinner or did you have to fix it up?

Last edited by ChrisDG23; 06-21-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by maxxtreme
Guys, you are not going to believe this,.... THE F.CK.NG THING IS WORKING NOW!!!!!. I just resolded all litlle parts inside the rig, changed 2 filters, 33 microfaradius and 50 volts; cleaned all the tinny electronic components with thinner, checked the 9 wires of the harness and IT JUST WORKED AS NEW !!
Maybe yours can be fixed also!!!, a friend of mine told me that, when electronic components are exposed to moisture for extended periods of time, they just got "sulfate" on it and this substance doesn´t allow electric current flows properly, so you must clean those components with thinner. I did it and i am very, very happy with the results!!!
Try searching by " cherokee sport ´95 overhead console manual " ( all cherokees from 1991- 1995 have the same wiring system, only changes the equipment) good luck and i hope this could help you.... cheers from México.!
now my overhead console works.
Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2016, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Canad1anBac0n
Is there anyone out there that has a working console that would be nice and check the resistance value on those 3 resistors for all of us with burnt resistors. Plus this will help you when yours burn out. Thank You Everyone with burnt resistors
I know this thread is OLD as heck but im needing some help. I've got 2 overhead consoles, one works perfectly, one, the display doesn't work and I found a burnt spot in the circuit board, same spot as in the above post. What all do I need to check and how in my working console in order to find the type of parts needing to be replaced in my burnt console. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Overhead Console Quit Working-image-2363074494.jpg  

Last edited by 93XJeeper; 09-06-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

One of your capacitors exploded, and it screwed up a trace in the process. Based on the other posts, you'll need to replace the two capacitors and repair the trace. If none of that makes sense to you, you'll need to find a friend to help you.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by wizardpc
One of your capacitors exploded, and it screwed up a trace in the process. Based on the other posts, you'll need to replace the two capacitors and repair the trace. If none of that makes sense to you, you'll need to find a friend to help you.
I understand. But how would I be able to tell what type of capacitors to replace them with. Aren't there different sizes?

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Quit Working