Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overhead Console question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle
Default Overhead Console question

I managed to scoop up a year- appropriate OHC & harness out of an xj @ the junkyard yesterday, but there was no rear bracket (someone had already taken the console down). My question is that since the grand caravan console is dimensionally the same, and the zj is very similar, are the rear mounting bracket out of either of those the same as the xj? I've been trying to find something to compare them all morning to no avail.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I just swapped out my ZJ OHC for an XJ OHC a few weeks ago. The ZJ bracket was from a 98 and the XJ was from a 90. They were not the same. The XJ was wider and the screw holes lined up with the rail in the roof where the ZJ did not. I had to offset it to get it to work.

I hope the computer isnt burned out. The first one I had was toast. I had to go to another JY to get a 2nd that actually worked.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle

Thanks for the reply. I actually went back to the same junk yard and was able to find the correct bracket off the same xj that i got the console out of (it was hidden under a floor mat), so all is well. As for the computer being spent, it looks like all of the functions work correctly, and it dims like it's supposed to. Next step will probably be some led replacements for the dim stock map lights & recover it.