Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overhead console install

Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline-6
Default Overhead console install

Hey guys, bought an overhead console on eBay for a 2000 Cherokee (same year I've got) and heard it's mostly plug and play for the wiring. However I've got a quite a few questions on the install/wiring so if anybody knows anything that would be awesome. First of all I knew I needed a ambient temp sensor so I purchased one of those as well, found the wiring behind the grill and plugged it in. Second the seller said a mounting bracket was included but I didn't get one in the parcel and I noticed 2 screw holes where the visor clips are and the mounting bracket is supposed to go near the front there? The back of the console has a plastic "hook" that looks like it should slide in somewhere around 8 inches past the stock some light location. And finally I was wondering where to run the wiring harness down to as I don't see anywhere to plug it in at the passenger side kick panel
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 95cherokee96
Hey guys, bought an overhead console on eBay for a 2000 Cherokee (same year I've got) and heard it's mostly plug and play for the wiring. However I've got a quite a few questions on the install/wiring so if anybody knows anything that would be awesome. First of all I knew I needed a ambient temp sensor so I purchased one of those as well, found the wiring behind the grill and plugged it in. Second the seller said a mounting bracket was included but I didn't get one in the parcel and I noticed 2 screw holes where the visor clips are and the mounting bracket is supposed to go near the front there? The back of the console has a plastic "hook" that looks like it should slide in somewhere around 8 inches past the stock some light location. And finally I was wondering where to run the wiring harness down to as I don't see anywhere to plug it in at the passenger side kick panel
You'll definitely need that mounting bracket so contact the seller or just find another one on ebay or something. You can find pictures online that will show where to cut the headliner to accommodate the new bracket. The wire harness runs down the passenger side A-pillar and to the fuse panel where there are matching plugs to the harness ends, I think you'll want to remove the large plastic panel so you can see the plugs
Old 05-26-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
You'll definitely need that mounting bracket so contact the seller or just find another one on ebay or something. You can find pictures online that will show where to cut the headliner to accommodate the new bracket. The wire harness runs down the passenger side A-pillar and to the fuse panel where there are matching plugs to the harness ends, I think you'll want to remove the large plastic panel so you can see the plugs
So should be those 2 plugs on the harness but can't find where the matching plugs are
Old 05-26-2016, 03:07 PM

So should be those 2 plugs on the harness but can't find where the matching plugs are
Actually never mind found it at the top but just tested the computer on the console and it doesn't work so it's going back to the seller
Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Actually never mind found it at the top but just tested the computer on the console and it doesn't work so it's going back to the seller
Sometimes the pins are arranged differently, I had to move around the wires in the harness to match the plug
Old 06-03-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
Sometimes the pins are arranged differently, I had to move around the wires in the harness to match the plug
Ok thanks for the hope, I'll take a look when I get back to town. Was your wiring harness from the same year as your Jeep like mine was?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

I had to make my harness as I only got a center console and 97s had a certain harness which are super hard to find.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by shooptube
I had to make my harness as I only got a center console and 97s had a certain harness which are super hard to find.
Do/did you have a wiring diagram? If so would you be willing to share?
Old 06-04-2016, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Unfortunately I don't have a diagram but I know I found it on this forum via Google

Edit: Try this

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ove...-change-28447/

Last edited by askingxforxit; 06-04-2016 at 01:52 AM.