Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Over heating question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Dro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Over heating question...

I live in Gilbert, Az. My 99 Cherokee has a new cooling system (within 1.5 yrs, new radiator, therm, water pump, and hoses). I tried to go up north to St. Johns to visit a friend and I overheated about 10 miles outside of Payson (a long stretch up the mountain). The only thing I know that is wrong with my cooling system is the shroud (it's chewed up, cut up, and held on by zip ties by the previous owner). My A/C does not work, so I don't run it. Does the electric fan not run if the a/c isn't running? Should I look into aftermarket electric fans? Will venting the hood make a big enough difference? Any info or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I think the efan only runs with the AC, but I could be wrong.

Fan shrouds are an important part of the cooling system, try replacing yours if your sure everything else is working correctly.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

I believe the e-fan will kick on under a few conditions, one is if AC is on, another is if coolant temp is over a certain temp. The XJ 4.0L needs the extra fan under load, or else it will overheat.
You can easily check the e-fan...unplug the coolant temp sensor from the t-stat hsg, the e-fan should kick on i a few seconds. This will also throw a code. If its still not kicking on, try unplugging the fan and running 12v directly to it.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Dro
I live in Gilbert, Az. My 99 Cherokee has a new cooling system (within 1.5 yrs, new radiator, therm, water pump, and hoses). I tried to go up north to St. Johns to visit a friend and I overheated about 10 miles outside of Payson (a long stretch up the mountain). The only thing I know that is wrong with my cooling system is the shroud (it's chewed up, cut up, and held on by zip ties by the previous owner). My A/C does not work, so I don't run it. Does the electric fan not run if the a/c isn't running? Should I look into aftermarket electric fans? Will venting the hood make a big enough difference? Any info or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!
I'd suggest u look at the entire cooling system....how old are all components? Standard cooling (no factory a/c) consisted of the belt fan only and they didn't overheat unless cooling system maintenance was neglected or a component failed. The ECU turns the efan on at 218F coolant temp or when compressor engages.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

i know it sounds silly, but i didnt see a thermostat on that list of replaced parts. that would be where I would start.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

you should be able to feel the upper hose. if it's warm when the truck is overheating, it's likely ok; but given that the whole system is relatively new, and that part is not on the replaced list, it might be cheap insurance. There should be a good overheating troubleshooting tree in your haynes manual.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Dro

Originally Posted by rrschott
i know it sounds silly, but i didnt see a thermostat on that list of replaced parts. that would be where I would start.
Sorry, I didn't spell it all the way out, but it is on the list.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Dro

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll get out there tomorrow morning when it is cooler out and check everything mentioned here.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Does it overheat on the highway, only at idle? With any overheating condition, the devil is in the details.

As DJB mentioned, the e-fan should kick on about 218. Be sure that it is.

Even though your cooling system components are relatively new, don't get tunnel vision and think that they can't fail. They can. If your cooling system is clean and you are having trouble on the highway with temps, I'd suspect the water pump more than any other component.

Don't forget about your radiator cap. Replace it. It is a critical component and often overlooked.

Good luck!