Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ordered My Steering Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ordered My Steering Setup

Alright guys I ordered my steering setup. I ended up going with the currie setup from cseoffroad.com

I expect to recieve the kit by this weekend and in this thread I will keep you guys updated with my review up front and over time.

-Kyle
Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

what kind of stuff are you changing? Are you planning on running really big tires later on or something? im not sure b/c ive never realyl thought about steering mods
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 AM

here is the currie setup

the reason im switching is mostly because my TRE's are shot to hell. I figured why not make an upgrade while im down there. Additionally the currie setup uses significantly stronger parts that are more resistant against rocks etc. And to answer your question, yes i do plan on getting bigger tires in the future.

EDIT: here is a pic i found from google of the setup bolted on.

-Kyle
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

oh i gotcha. might be a good mod my dman tie rod is bent pretty bad too
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dabeast727
oh i gotcha. might be a good mod my dman tie rod is bent pretty bad too
definitely something to think about, the currie setup looks beefy as hell which i consider a pretty significant upgrade from stock and right under the strength of a 1 ton setup.

-Kyle
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995 Jeep
Engine: 4.0l High output

Looks like a tuff setup. Keep us posted on the build up
Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Two months ago I would have thought it was overkil. But after I put on my lift any improvements to the steering is problably the safest thing we could all do. Looks good Kyle.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM

i have also thought upgraded steering was overkill especially for 31's but looking at prices of all new TRE's i figured since i will be going bigger later why not just upgrade the whole thing now especially since my current TRE's are shot.

-Kyle
Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I'm looking into steering too because after I lifted my jeep it doesn't feel solid in the front end, like it use too.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jonb8
I'm looking into steering too because after I lifted my jeep it doesn't feel solid in the front end, like it use too.
same exact thing here, just too loose along with the added pressure of the bigger tires.

-Kyle
Old 03-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
definitely something to think about, the currie setup looks beefy as hell which i consider a pretty significant upgrade from stock and right under the strength of a 1 ton setup.

-Kyle
This is Chris from Currie i sent you a email on this earlier. I dont understand this coment? How is the kit "just under a one ton set up" I dont mean to come off as a jerk but this term gets to me everytime i see it. The term "One Ton" has become a marketing buzz word that feeds off the average jeep guys need to have " bomb proof " parts. Truth is you can brake anything and nothing is bulit or bomb proof

Things people may not know about the Currie HD steering is its made from 1.25 solid chromolly bar its not tubing like alot of other " one ton" set-ups. Another thing is the joints that come on the kit are as big if not bigger then almost all other steering kits.

I am now a member of this board so if anyone has a question about any Currie product let me know. The email i have listed her goes to my work computer.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by NRT_Chris
This is Chris from Currie i sent you a email on this earlier. I dont understand this coment? How is the kit "just under a one ton set up" I dont mean to come off as a jerk but this term gets to me everytime i see it. The term "One Ton" has become a marketing buzz word that feeds off the average jeep guys need to have " bomb proof " parts. Truth is you can brake anything and nothing is bulit or bomb proof

Things people may not know about the Currie HD steering is its made from 1.25 solid chromolly bar its not tubing like alot of other " one ton" set-ups. Another thing is the joints that come on the kit are as big if not bigger then almost all other steering kits.

I am now a member of this board so if anyone has a question about any Currie product let me know. The email i have listed her goes to my work computer.
well chris im glad to have you aboard and look forward to getting more of your input.

Bottom line is i am a suspension guy not a steering guy. From the research i have done it is my understanding that it is not considered a 1 ton setup due to the fact that it still uses the same size TRE bolts, granted it is a 7/8" TRE but the bolt itself is stock size. Now from what i have read this is why the currie setup is not considered a "1 ton setup"

PLEASE correct me if im wrong. As you have read i did go with the currie setup because it appealed to me the most with the budget i had to work with. So that says something about what i have found strictly due to research and not experience. I am also willing to run the setup with 35's also saying what i think of the setup.

Thank you for joining our board as im sure you will help many members and in this thread i will have an ongoing review of your product.

-Kyle

EDIT: chris you sent me an email?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM

You are correct on the bolt size. It was made this way because the kit is designed to be a direct bolt on. To me drilling out the tapper on the knuckle is a bad idea. If for some reason you dont like the kit you cant go back to a Currie or a stock set up and if you have a problem on the trail most people that carry spare tie rods and drag links are the stock inverted Y design. I have been running the Currie set up on my JeepSpeed for about two years and have never had to replace a joint. The way i look at it is if i cant brake it in a desert race it will last a really long time on my trail jeep.

Last edited by NRT_Chris; 03-04-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM

another reason i went with the currie setup is that i didnt want to drill (mostly because at my apartment i dont have access to power) but your picture assures me of my purchase a bit more

I may also suggest going to the vendor section and letting people know who you are and that you will be around to answer any questions.

-Kyle
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 PM

so how did it turn out?? Im looking into the Currie set-up as well. Im stuck between Currie and JCR and possibly IRO.

Quick Reply: Ordered My Steering Setup