Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Options with factory trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Options with factory trailer wiring

Ok guys, I've searched everything I know to search and can't find an answer. So I have a 97 XJ with a factory tow hitch and the factory 7 pin trailer hook up. Both my boat and utility trailer use a flat 4 harness. I know from searching that the Jeep needs a converter to make the brake and turn signals work on the trailers. My problem is I want to keep the factory 7 pin connector. My buddy has a medium sized flat bed trailer we haul four wheelers on occasionally and I need that connector. Is there anyway to keep my 7 pin and get the lights working properly on my 4 pin trailers? The only converters I saw replaced all of the wiring starting at the factory connectors behind the rear trim panels. Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by clemsontaco
Ok guys, I've searched everything I know to search and can't find an answer. So I have a 97 XJ with a factory tow hitch and the factory 7 pin trailer hook up. Both my boat and utility trailer use a flat 4 harness. I know from searching that the Jeep needs a converter to make the brake and turn signals work on the trailers. My problem is I want to keep the factory 7 pin connector. My buddy has a medium sized flat bed trailer we haul four wheelers on occasionally and I need that connector. Is there anyway to keep my 7 pin and get the lights working properly on my 4 pin trailers? The only converters I saw replaced all of the wiring starting at the factory connectors behind the rear trim panels. Any ideas?
Couldn't you splice a 4-pin in with the 7-pin? Assuming some of those 7 wires are the same ones the 4-pin uses...
Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

How about one of these?

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I already have one of the 7 to 4 adapters (I probably should have mentioned that). Like many others I was reading about in my search I had running lights but no brake or turn signals. I read that the jeep having separate turn signal and brake light bulbs and the trailers not was the problem. So I was looking to see if there was a way around buying a converter. Well I guess it turns out that 7 to 4 adapter converts that because I was just out side and checked my bulbs and the brake/turn filament was blown. Guess that my weekly reminder to check ALL the small/simple things first. Anyways thanks again for the replies fellas and sorry for my moment of stupidity.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Yeah my factory wiring is 7 pin also. I just had U-haul splice in a 4 pin pig tail into the wires running down to the hitch. When I rented a trailer from them. They apparently did it correctly, because the 7 pin plug still works correctly, when I pull Dads trailer.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

I just bought a 7 pin to 4 pin converter plug at Wal-mart.....works perfect. Keep it in the glove box when not needed.