Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Opinion on Security System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Opinion on Security System?

I keep the majority of my craftsman hand tools in the back and will be installing a nice Polk Audio complete system in the somewhat near future.

Now I have had my driver's side window busted out and 2 cd players stolen since I've owned it. Not a fun experience to say the least.

My question is, "Is a car alarm worth it?"

It seems to me, most people ignore them anyway and it doesn't really seem to detour theft anymore, at least in my head that's what I assume.

On one hand, the XJ has enough wires as-is, as well as future planned accessories, such as, a stereo system, roof lights, winch, air lockers and what ever else I decide to install. So I'd like to avoid adding anymore unnecessary wires and boxes if it's not worth it.

On the other hand, there is peace of mind and a blinking red light and possibly remote start.

Can't make up my mind...opinions?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Most do ignore alarms nowadays . Ive got a simple kill switch on mine if it ever gets broken into at least It wont get stolen .Unless thet push it off . The blinking red light can be a good deterent this can be done with out a alarm being installed. Its sorta like the signs you stick in your yard saying this house protected by such and such alarm company and theres no alarm in the house .

Last edited by freegdr; 03-24-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

I personally love my Viper car alarm. $400 with free installation. It has the two way remote. So if I'm within a 1000ft of the jeep if it goes off my transmitter on my keys will go off lettin me know. Also they mount the light right on the front window so it's super bright at night. so along with that and the Viper window decals I feel much safer with it.

You may also want to look into window film protection. It's like window tent but makes it damn near impossible to break the window out. Viper I know sells it. Haven't checked the price but I bet it's worth it and has a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"Now I have had my driver's side window busted out and 2 cd players stolen since I've owned it. Not a fun experience to say the least."

If it were me/mine, I would strongly consider moving. There are a lot of positives to having a really long winding driveway.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Pit bull in front seat works wonders
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ss427ci
Can't make up my mind...opinions?
I thought Hawaii was the super awesome cool, everybody gets along, place to be. I haven't seen them on Cops lately.

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
There are a lot of positives to having a really long winding driveway.
Amen.

It's that much more difficult to hear the gun shots from the road.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I use to live in Corpus Christi, TX and had my truck broken into 3 times. Since then I have moved to the country in the middle of nowhere and have never had a problem since. A lot of time I don't even bother to lock the doors including my house doors. It also doesn't hurt that I have 3 BIG dogs and one little one. They will scare the crap out of anyone.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by freegdr
Most do ignore alarms nowadays .
Proof? Have you ever ignored someones car alarm? I doubt anyone would walk the other way and not say anything if a car alarm is going off and someone is inside stealing things.

I have a car alarm I also have a sound system and no one has broken into my jeep yet. If someone really wanted to they could break out a window and disconnect the battery so the alarm would cut off but its not worth the trouble of getting caught.
Also Tint your windows so it is harder to see in at night.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Most do ignore alarms nowadays . Ive got a simple kill switch on mine if it ever gets broken into at least It wont get stolen .Unless thet push it off . The blinking red light can be a good deterent this can be done with out a alarm being installed. Its sorta like the signs you stick in your yard saying this house protected by such and such alarm company and theres no alarm in the house .
I also have a vehicle immobilizer so at least they can't steal it, I'm just more worried about the stuff inside it. I've thought about just the light, but I'd hate for it to not detour a thief and then kick myself in the *** for not getting the real deal.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kissthis66
I personally love my Viper car alarm. $400 with free installation. It has the two way remote. So if I'm within a 1000ft of the jeep if it goes off my transmitter on my keys will go off lettin me know. Also they mount the light right on the front window so it's super bright at night. so along with that and the Viper window decals I feel much safer with it.

You may also want to look into window film protection. It's like window tent but makes it damn near impossible to break the window out. Viper I know sells it. Haven't checked the price but I bet it's worth it and has a lifetime warranty.
That's good to hear. I'll check ino that window film, never herd of it, thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by ss427ci
That's good to hear. I'll check ino that window film, never herd of it, thanks.
That windo film stuff is pretty neat stuff. It originally was mad for houses. I did see a demonstration for it a few years ago. They were hitting it with a good size hammer. The glass dose crack but everything was still in-tacked. and it would really be a great deterrent.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
If it were me/mine, I would strongly consider moving. There are a lot of positives to having a really long winding driveway.
Well that was when I lived in Dallas, TX. I live on an Army post now, so I feel pretty safe. But there is still a few crazies around.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Pit bull in front seat works wonders
Yeah I bet, lol
Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by lowrange2

I thought Hawaii was the super awesome cool, everybody gets along, place to be. I haven't seen them on Cops lately.

Amen.

It's that much more difficult to hear the gun shots from the road.
The locals can't stand the military, so parking my Jeep anywhere off post is a risk if I'm being targeted. So I'd like the extra protection just in case.

Very true on the long driveway. Man I miss the country.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 AM

I think there is no other way to secure your car without an alarm system.But i think now the companies offering security locks through which you can get alert when some one try to unlock your car.But you can't get any other benefit from that lock system.