Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Smells Like Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Oil Smells Like Gas

Hey All,

Alright so I have a slight problem, or huge. I started my Jeep yesterday and I noticed it wreaks like gas. Friend told me that it was probably because it was sitting. This morning I prepared myself for the worst...Popped my hood and pulled the dipstick. Oil had slightly rose over the SAFE Mark and it had a slight smell of gas. Motor runs fine, sounds alright and isn't knocking. I will be doing an oil change first thing on payday in December. The oil is still slick, I checked with my fingers. I don't know if this would make a difference, but Im pretty low on gas as well. Below E to be exact. Anyone else wanna smell the oil on their dipsticks and let me know? (Sorry if that sounds a little gay...) Hahahahaha
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Also, I just changed the oil a few months ago.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:30 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: I6

You might be getting blow by
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Seasoned Member

What is "Blow By"?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM

Gas getting past the rings and seeping down into the oil. but before you take it as the worst wait for someone to chime in
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Is this dangerous? Im still clear to drive to school, right?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Could be lot of thIngar. leaky fuel injectors bad fuel pressure regulator bad valve guides bad spark plugs.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Christ...Just what a High School student needs. :-)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM

How close is school and how many miles a day you drive. Cause gas in the oil isn't good. It eats away the lubrication in the oil
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

If you short trip this as in not driving it often enough or 2-3 mile rides, it will gas up the oil. It's not dangerous unless you get a open flame by the dipstick.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Few miles away. It has 242,000 on it. But this won't blow my engine will it?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5003081...ngine-oil.html
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You (or any shop) could hook a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and "clamp" or pinch the fuel feed and return lines (fuel pressure gauge kits have the correct hose apparatus that will allow you to do this) so that fuel pressure should hold steady on the gauge if things are okay. When you have that fuel pressure gauge installed, be sure to verify that pressure is in spec. For a 95, you should have 31 psi at idle. Then disconnect the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator (be sure that line is pulling good vacuum) and the pressure should jump to approximately 39 psi.

However, if the pressure leaks down, then you would have to isolate exactly where it is coming from and a leaky fuel injector (one that doesn't completely close) is your #1 suspect.

How many miles are on these injectors? Do you think they are the originals with 242,000 miles? If so, they don't owe you anything and it makes it even more likely that one is leaking. Injectors do not last forever and if you find you have a faulty one, I recommend that you replace all six of them. You don't have to go new, rebuilt injectors are widely available and are a pretty good value.

Questions for you.

1. When the engine starts, does it start quickly or does it take a while to fire up? Does it run smoothly right away, or does it "stumble" a little bit and then run better. Sometimes with a leaky injector, the engine will run rough for a few seconds upon startup as the engine has to burn off the excess fuel left by the leaky fuel injector. And a leaky injector can create a fuel pressure drop that may take some cranking to get back up to a pressure that will start the engine.

2. Does your engine use excessive oil? If so, a dry/wet compression test would also not be a bad idea and is a good "snapshot in time" of the internal condition of the engine. Your rings could be worn.

Know this though....oil thinned by gas is bad news for the guts of your engine. I personally wouldn't do much driving until this is resolved. And my money is on a bad fuel injector.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated. We're all learning as we go along here..............

Last edited by tjwalker; 11-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM

And to test your rings I beloved advanced auto or auto zone let's you rent compression testers
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by tjwalker
You (or any shop) could hook a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and "clamp" or pinch the fuel feed and return lines (fuel pressure gauge kits have the correct hose apparatus that will allow you to do this) so that fuel pressure should hold steady on the gauge if things are okay. When you have that fuel pressure gauge installed, be sure to verify that pressure is in spec. For a 95, you should have 31 psi at idle. Then disconnect the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator (be sure that line is pulling good vacuum) and the pressure should jump to approximately 39 psi.

However, if the pressure leaks down, then you would have to isolate exactly where it is coming from and a leaky fuel injector (one that doesn't completely close) is your #1 suspect.

How many miles are on these injectors? Do you think they are the originals with 242,000 miles? If so, they don't owe you anything and it makes it even more likely that one is leaking. Injectors do not last forever and if you find you have a faulty one, I recommend that you replace all six of them. You don't have to go new, rebuilt injectors are widely available and are a pretty good value.

Questions for you.

1. When the engine starts, does it start quickly or does it take a while to fire up? Does it run smoothly right away, or does it "stumble" a little bit and then run better. Sometimes with a leaky injector, the engine will run rough for a few seconds upon startup as the engine has to burn off the excess fuel left by the leaky fuel injector. And a leaky injector can create a fuel pressure drop that may take some cranking to get back up to a pressure that will start the engine.

2. Does your engine use excessive oil? If so, a dry/wet compression test would also not be a bad idea and is a good "snapshot in time" of the internal condition of the engine. Your rings could be worn.

Know this though....oil thinned by gas is bad news for the guts of your engine. I personally wouldn't do much driving until this is resolved. And my money is on a bad fuel injector.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated. We're all learning as we go along here..............
To answer your questions for me...My engine starts up immediately and has that typical vrrooom every 4.0 has when you start it. I don't usually ever find myself adding oil to it, so that would be a No. I don't know if they are the original injectors or what. Maybe a fuel injector cleaner would help? Those things at the gas station? I honestly do not know and Im learning day by day...I mean the engine sounds fine. A mechanic said to let it run fifteen or twenty minutes and see if the smell burnt off. He said gmoil that smells like gas isn't an uncommon thing for some vehicles. But I just NEED to be sure. I worked like crazy to get it here and really don't want it to be dying now. :-(

Quick Reply: Oil Smells Like Gas