Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil slinger

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Oil slinger

So I changed my timing belt/ tensioner on my 94 2.5. I remembered during the teardown there was a "notched washer" between the crankshaft gear and couldn't find it during reassembly. I watched a few videos and read some blogs and none of them even mentioned this "washer". I figured it either didn't exist or it was not necessary so I put the timing cover back on and reinstalled the harmonic balancer. Of course the lower gasket installation on the cover didn't disappoint in it's difficulty.

Well this, I found out was actually the oil slinger. Couldn't find one locally but I did find it online, it should be here by Friday. So the XJ grounded until I get it back under the timing cover, it's obviously necessary. I don't mind pulling the balancer and the timing cover again but I'm certainly not looking forward to that freaking gasket. The one I got with the timing kit was rubber with "spikes" that I assume was designed to fit into guide holes on either the timing chain cover or the oil pan neither one has these holes so I had to cut them off so they would not interfere with sealing the oil pan. I feel that this gasket seems like it would be less-than-ideal for ceiling the front of the oil pan and was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion for a different type of seal or one that's a little wider because the one I took off definitely seen wider. I could just compare it basically to the gasket for the oil pan itself the diagram looks like a white or gasket on the front where the timing chain is but it's all one piece and I wouldn't mind cutting that to make it fit but I really kind of want to do it the right way and with a gasket that will actually seal and I won't have any leaks with. Any suggestions would be very helpful thank you.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Was it the wrong part number for the gasket set?

Did you look on Rockauto.com?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Was it the wrong part number for the gasket set?

Did you look on Rockauto.com?
I actually got that from RockAuto as well as the timing set (Mahle). It came with a flimsy rubber gasket with spikes sticking out that I had to cut off. I guess if I had either the timing cover with the holes or the oil pan at holes it would work but when I cut the spikes off I knew at that moment that it was probably not going to fit and definitely would be hard to hold in there and screw in the same and certainly not what I removed when I take the timing cover off it looks like they have one piece oil pan gasket and it was really thick and actually protruded out the bottom at the timing cover just more Stout. I haven't seen a gasket like that for a timing cover change only for the oil pan so I think I'm going to get the oil pan gasket and just use that part of it and rtv the sides really good. Thanks for your response
The following users liked this post:
PatHenry (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

That was going to be my suggestion - replace the oil pan gasket and/or use some RTV.