Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

oil pressure switch

Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default oil pressure switch

Hi all,bought a cherokee xj sport,2.5l manual petrol 1995 about six months or so ago and it had a small oil leak from the oil pressure switch...other than that,was reading fine. Ordered a new one which turned out to be completely the wrong one...despite all websites saying that this was the one for my Jeep! Don't know why or how but that's how it is. Anyways,finally got the part that looked exactly the same as the original one,mostly black plastic with a little screw thread at the end...the only difference being that the pin inside is on the opposite side from the original.The oil leak stopped but the guage is as far over as it can go.
Is this because the pin is on the opposite side or because the generic switch is no good? Maybe I should cut off the little lug and fit it the other way around ?
The only other switch I can find that looks the same has two pins in it...not sure if that is the answer?
I know I should get an original matching Jeep part but here in England,not so easy !!
Thanks for any tips or advice !!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd try flipping the plug around for the heck of it to see if it works. Sounds like the signal wire is grounded. If it's the sender for the warning light instead of a gauge you'll have to return it though.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 PM

Tell me about. I just went through the same exact thing. How so many different sources could be wrong about the same part(including Omix)was simply mind boggling. In the end Radi's advice is correct. The main thing to pay attention to is whether it's for the warning light or the gauge. The less expensive part is for the warning light and the more expensive part is for the gauge. Getting the right part was a bigger pain in the *** then replacing it...oh yeah, don't forget the Super Duper Special Socket for it. Unless someone has a more readily accessible idea.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

My freind had similar issue theres two switch listed for 95 Canadian and usa .Advanced auto had givin him the canadian one we switch it ot and alls well
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lowtech
Tell me about. I just went through the same exact thing. How so many different sources could be wrong about the same part(including Omix)was simply mind boggling. In the end Radi's advice is correct. The main thing to pay attention to is whether it's for the warning light or the gauge. The less expensive part is for the warning light and the more expensive part is for the gauge. Getting the right part was a bigger pain in the *** then replacing it...oh yeah, don't forget the Super Duper Special Socket for it. Unless someone has a more readily accessible idea.
Channel locks ...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

I got mine from NAPA last week. $12 I think. Piece of cake to install, after spending money on the damn socket, and it works perfectly now.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rovert97
I got mine from NAPA last week. $12 I think. Piece of cake to install, after spending money on the damn socket, and it works perfectly now.
Ya i got napa end of my street cant go wrong there . Frequent customer discount also big plus.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the replies,appreciated ! Have been looking at a site here in the UK and they list two genuine Jeep switches,one is half the price of the other...now I know why,one is for a light,the other for a guage! Now I know this,assuming I have the one installed that is for a warning light,would it make a difference if I cut off the lug and turn it around...I'm guessing it still would not make the guage work or not read correctly!
Guess I need to contact the online supplier and see which side the pin is located on the guage switch!
The biggest problem is that when I have the registration number entered into a suppliers database,the parts it comes up with are not correct for the engine I have.Either an error was made when manufactured or the engine has been changed at some point,although there is no evidence of this.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM
CF Veteran

Gotta have correct one
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rovert97
I wish we still had a NAPA here. I've always had better luck with their electric parts than anyone else's. I ended up buying mine at Autozone yesterday for $18. I was surprised that they actually had one in stock. The old RENIX versions are bigger bodied than newer models, so there's no "Super Duper Special" socket that fits them. Just a common open end wrench will do.