Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Pressure Fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6
Default Oil Pressure Fluctuation

So today I drove 9 miles to the bank, did my business, drove another 5 to work that was a little bit of stop-and-go, and arrived in the parking lot with the temp running about 220-230 and my oil pressure about 3-5 psi. It was just over 0. Kinda scared me a bit, but I wasn't too worried since I knew it was running pretty hot. I let it idle for about a minute to see if it would cool down a little, and it did, but the oil pressure was still kinda low. There were no noises from the valves, no knocking or anything. When I left work, it drove like normal, around 20 psi when warm and giving it a little gas. I drove again to my buddy's house, again it was fine. But when I got home, it was down to about 10-12 psi at idle. It seemed to run a little lower than 20 at times during my driving, but again not too bad. It would still go to 20-22 when It revved up to about 2 grand and a little higher. When the engine is cold, it still runs to about 30 psi. It had been in the 90s today, and just shy of 90 the past few days. I just recently took a trip 60 miles each way down to central jersey to collect some firewood that my dad and I cut up, but it ran fine that whole way. Should I be alarmed at this or just let it go and see what happens? I really don't want to be stuck with a seized engine and no jeep. I'm thinkin the sending unit is going, but not too sure. Is there a relatively simple way to test it?
Jeep specs are in my signature below.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Well I don't know psi, I'm in Canada. As long as your oil pressure isn't fluctuating while your engine is at the same/unchanging RPM then your fine. After a while of driving and your engine is hot the idle oil pressure will go down as opposed to when you first start it up. If your oil pressure is fluctuating while your at a constant rpm then you have a problem
Old 08-04-2012, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There really isn't a good way to test the oil pressure sender other than substitution, or comparison to a known mechanical gauge. Generally if it's leaking oil out the back near the plug, it's either shot or will be soon.

I'd certainly do one or the other, either screw in a mechanical gauge and check your pressure, or replace the sender and see if your numbers are better. That's some pretty low pressure readings you are seeing.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Radi
There really isn't a good way to test the oil pressure sender other than substitution, or comparison to a known mechanical gauge. Generally if it's leaking oil out the back near the plug, it's either shot or will be soon.

I'd certainly do one or the other, either screw in a mechanical gauge and check your pressure, or replace the sender and see if your numbers are better. That's some pretty low pressure readings you are seeing.
Good advice here^^. And while the sender is off, do this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/4...fixed-1304679/
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry I didn't respond back till today, I had no idea anyone responded to my question. I must have overlooked the thread in my user cp.

I've been keeping an eye on the oil pressure and it seems to be fine again. Still not perfectly in the clear though. If it happens again, I'll test it. If not, then I'll leave it alone and tend to the other things on my list for my jeep. Found a pretty good exhaust leak today that will be expensive to fix unfortunately. Changing the t-case fluid tomorrow, then probably take care of some grounds finally, and maybe some other little things. The exhaust leak will have to wait until I can figure out what to do. I explained that whole ordeal in another thread.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Good advice here^^. And while the sender is off, do this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/4...fixed-1304679/
I actually came across that thread a few months back while searching the sites. I think that was even before I was a member of this forum, haha. It's a good thing to do if you're replacing the sending unit. I thought about trying the marvel mystery oil, but it's not around much anymore. My dad said he used it all the time when he was my age and he never had any problems with it.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Walmart carries MMO.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Walmart carries MMO.
To wally world!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
To wally world!
Beware of the Walmartians!!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Dude, I live in PA. Going to Walmart is like a field trip to an amusement park. Just watching the people that walk in there is entertaining enough. Seeing their cars out in the parking lot is pretty funny too. I've seen a mini van with body panels in 3 different colors sporting 2 plastic shiny hubcaps, one missing, and the other wheel with one of those plastic spinning ones. I had to turn away and just laugh. It was pretty damn funny. Other cars are just completely riced out but horribly, especially cavaliers. On the other hand, sometimes there are nice XJs that are lifted a few winches and other trucks that could probably eat a small car in one shot.