Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

oil pan gasket is kicking my butt

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default oil pan gasket is kicking my butt

So I am replacing my oil pan gasket. I got the pan off with no problems. I am having trouble putting the gasket and pan back on. I cant seem to keep the gasket on the pan and line up the holes with out it falling, I have also placed red rtv on the gasket and that has become a serious mess. So after a few hour of frustration and destroying a gasket I just made a trip to autozone and dropped twenty more bucks on another gasket. Before round two of being dominated by a gasket I would appreciate any tips or advice thanks.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

what i did was layed the gasket down on a nice clean piece of cardboard, applied a very small bead of RTV around the gasket placed the oil pan on top of the gasket and let it sit for about an hour untouched. i have no leaks on mine at all and you are suppost to let the RTV set and 'cure' a bit anyways. this will make the gasket set to the pan and then you can install as one unit. correct me if i did this wrong anyone but it worked for me. thats how i did my valve cover gasket too
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cory
So I am replacing my oil pan gasket. I got the pan off with no problems. I am having trouble putting the gasket and pan back on. I cant seem to keep the gasket on the pan and line up the holes with out it falling, I have also placed red rtv on the gasket and that has become a serious mess. So after a few hour of frustration and destroying a gasket I just made a trip to autozone and dropped twenty more bucks on another gasket. Before round two of being dominated by a gasket I would appreciate any tips or advice thanks.

rtv the gasket to thepan and let it dry. to keep the gasket in place put the bolts in the hoel and put some rtv behind the heads so they stay when you go to put the pan up. after everything dries put rtv on the bottom of the block and bolt the pan in place.