Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Leak (uncommon for jeeps right? ;)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6
Default Oil Leak (uncommon for jeeps right? ;)

Hey guys im leaking oil from god knows where but im thinking its my oil pan gasket.. judging by the amount of oil surronding it, but after looking around a bit ive found it could be many other things like the rear main seal? Or even the valve cover. Im Just trying to narrow it down, ill post pics up where its leaking and see what you guys think. Also does anyone know how to remove the oil pan? There seem to be alot of things in the way.. I hear its easier if your jeep is lifted, mine is lifted 3 inches. Im changing my oil soon and thought itd be a good idea to fix the leak while the oil is all drained out.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Here's my situation. Covers buttom of oil pan and complete left side. Also I notice it at the bottum of the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak (uncommon for jeeps right? ;)-forumrunner_20130216_171426.jpg   Oil Leak (uncommon for jeeps right? ;)-forumrunner_20130216_171513.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Anyone? My valve cover bolts were very loose so i think that might have caused it?? I stripped a bolt in the process so ill have to remove the valve cover and replace the gasket anyways. Sweet.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cherokeekid4x4
Anyone? My valve cover bolts were very loose so i think that might have caused it?? I stripped a bolt in the process so ill have to remove the valve cover and replace the gasket anyways. Sweet.

Here's what YOU do.

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 9-15-2012
Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Here's what YOU do.

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 9-15-2012
Dang dude alright point made, never said I was going to take it to a shop but whatever. I have looked ive been looking for awhile and there is oil everywhere (shown in pics) Hard to pin point EXACTLY where it could be coming from. For me anyways i was wondering what everyone else thought. I tightened down the valve cover and stripped a bolt lol so ill have to fix that but it isnt fresh oil up there. The freshest oil seems to be coming from the oil pan gasket, which is why I bought the gasket but thought i would double check on here if thats even what i need to replace. I doubt it is the rear main seal. So that leaves oil pressure sending unit next.. Um Mines not even hooked up lol soo not that. oil filter adapter seals are new (leaked awhile back so i replaced) And i have no clue what the distrubutor gasket is??
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Distributor gasket is under the distributor.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: I6 4.0

Buy some cans of engine degreaser and start cleaning.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
Buy some cans of engine degreaser and start cleaning.
Yep. We can't see the OP's Jeep from here. This is not difficult to do. Decent eyesight and a dim flashlight, and willingness are all you need.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Yep. We can't see the OP's Jeep from here. This is not difficult to do. Decent eyesight and a dim flashlight, and willingness are all you need.
Whats OP stand for? and alright ill just spray it all down but itll just leak out everywhere as i drive down the road and look exactly the same but I will for sure give it a try in the morning.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Original Poster. Don't drive it down the road. Let it idle and WATCH it. Geez, quit whining. It makes people not wanna help you.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Original Poster. Don't drive it down the road. Let it idle and WATCH it. Geez, quit whining. It makes people not wanna help you.
Makes sense and okay but its a slow leak, will it leak if i let it sit there. Also how am I whining? Im doing all the things your telling me to do. Even though your being an a@@ about it. Im 17, im not a professional mechanic. People have to start somewhere, Yes i got on Cherokeeforum to ask for help on an oil leak that ive had for a long time and I couldnt seem to find the exact spot it was coming from. My bad Ill make sure to replace every part that holds oil next time before i ask for peoples thoughts on what it could be. I asked SO I wouldnt be replacing parts on a quess. thanks for the help, Ill clean it and let it idle. Then quess on from there.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM

Makes sense and okay but its a slow leak, will it leak if i let it sit there. Also how am I whining? Im doing all the things your telling me to do. Even though your being an a@@ about it. Im 17, im not a professional mechanic. People have to start somewhere, Yes i got on Cherokeeforum to ask for help on an oil leak that ive had for a long time and I couldnt seem to find the exact spot it was coming from. My bad Ill make sure to replace every part that holds oil next time before i ask for peoples thoughts on what it could be. I asked SO I wouldnt be replacing parts on a quess. thanks for the help, Ill clean it and let it idle. Then quess on from there.

Grow up. You were getting advice and then whining that it would be all covered in oil if you drove it. Boo friggin hoo.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Grow up. You were getting advice and then whining that it would be all covered in oil if you drove it. Boo friggin hoo.
It most likely would be covered again. Especially if it is leaking? lol which is exactly my problem! But yes ill grow up and ignore people who are being dbags over the internet. Im the one who needs to grow up? Which ya is probably very true im a teenager. What teenager doesnt have growing up to do? But Id rethink that remark. Your talking to a kid over the internet. But anyways thanks for the help. Ill see how it goes in the morning.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM

It most likely would be covered again. Especially if it is leaking? lol which is exactly my problem! But yes ill grow up and ignore people who are being dbags over the internet. Im the one who needs to grow up? Which ya is probably very true im a teenager. What teenager doesnt have growing up to do? But Id rethink that remark. Your talking to a kid over the internet. But anyways thanks for the help. Ill see how it goes in the morning.
You just don't get it. How do you think a mechanic does it? How do the rest of us do it? Won't be covered instantly will it? Relax and monitor it and see where it's coming from BEFORE it's covered.

And BTW, this douchebag has offered you the most comprehensive, accurate, and easy to follow advice you could ask for. Even wrote a special write-up to address this issue for many others so it was at my fingertips to share with others. Perhaps parts of it are offensive to those who are over-sensitive, but it gives the OWNER of the Jeep, who is their with it, the tools they need for a proper diagnosis. Deal with it..
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Hate to be the noob interrupting the peeing contest but.......
All the gaskets/seals that Cruiser mentioned can be purchased for less than 50 bucks and be installed with minimal labor. Heck just replace them all, and if you still have an oil leak then start looking into the more costly labor intensive repairs such as R.M.S and oil pan gasket

Quick Reply: Oil Leak (uncommon for jeeps right? ;)