Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil leak solutions!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil leak solutions!

First post besides the intro today. My 2000 XJ sport recently started to leak a little oil in the garage. Got to looking during oil change two days ago and it was my valve cover gasket. No biggie 15 min fix (sorry no pics but so simple dont need any). WELLLLLL next day I saw a small spot of extremly clean oil on the floor. Got to looking and it was my oil filter adapter orings. The only reason I looked here is once my engine temp got to operating levels I lost oil pressure. This is caused by a bypass that redirects oil, skipping the oil filter when oil is cold and thick, once warm and thin enough to pass through oil filter it allows that to happen and bam, about zip on oil pressure. Apparently an easy fix according to my master tech brother(who will be performing the repair). Any who the purpose of this thread is to look for these somewhat common problems(if you didn't already know). Keep an eye on this thread as I will be posting many many detailed pics and very detailed instructions of this repair tomorrow evening for those who might not know how to do it. May be easy and common knowledge to most, just trying to contribute.https://www.cherokeeforum.com/images...cheesygrin.gif
Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 PM

Default Pics of Fix.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...1&d=1264129807
This is it of course.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...1&d=1264129807
Remove oil filter and remove screw with T60 torx bit. It is in the very end of the adapter.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...1&d=1264130081
Pic of the end that turns. The whole end will turn and man it is on there. Had to use a breaker bar.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...1&d=1264130081
And there is the oring to replace. Just grab ya a gasket set in the HELP stuff at advance auto for 5 bucks and your set. Just make sure surface on the block and on the adapter are really clean before reassembly or it will just leak again. Thanks more stuff to come. The rear end complete rebuild for dana 35 is Sat. morning so keep an eye out for post Sat. afternoon.
Attached Images     
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport

That threaded tube comes out of that adapter and you can screw it back into the block and put a 99 toyota 4runner filter on it. The filter is for the 3.7 motor and this is possible because i am runnining it on my 94. I can post pics if need be. I did this because i saw it on the new tjs and thought it would be a good idea. The reason for the toyota filter is due to diameter because the one for the xj will hit the motor mount and crease it putting a pin hole in it and causing it to leak.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1jeepman
That threaded tube comes out of that adapter and you can screw it back into the block and put a 99 toyota 4runner filter on it. The filter is for the 3.7 motor and this is possible because i am runnining it on my 94. I can post pics if need be. I did this because i saw it on the new tjs and thought it would be a good idea. The reason for the toyota filter is due to diameter because the one for the xj will hit the motor mount and crease it putting a pin hole in it and causing it to leak.
That sounds like it might be a better fix, considering that the filter adapter leaking is somewhat of a common problem. Ever happens again I'll be doing this to eliminate the adapter all together. Thanks