Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

oil leak experts please help....

Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default oil leak experts please help....

ok so this morning i realized i have an oil leak, nothing huge... just noticed a 1 in. size oil spot on a new driveway... i'm wondering if you think i could try some sort of an epoxy or jb weld maybe? to seal the spot or if i need to take it somewhere....

the leak

the brown/rust spot is where its coming from, no oil above that spot so it has to be it.

please let me know your expert opinions on what i could do

thank you in advanced
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Engine: I6

i would try some epoxy puddy, like quick steel or something. Just clean it off the oil first.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

I have fixed worse spots with jb weld but like 01xjbes says you need to make sure the area is good and clean and it wont hurt to scuff it up a bit to.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I'v never seen an oilpan rust like that.. odd.

Personally i dont know if i'd attempt a fix on the rig, i'd be afraid of dropping metal/rust particles into the pan. And taking it off.. you'd be better off just replacing it. Cant imagine it would cost more than 20 at a u-pull somewhere.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Looks to me that at one time the exhaust hit the oil pan taking off the paint and started this whole nightmare. If it were mine, I'd replace the pan with a salvage. You could try to patch it but more than likely its going to leak and you'll end up spending as much if not more than the price of a salvage pan from the JY. And if it blows out hardcore, you risk your engine, not worth it in my book.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 PM

well i did just buy this jeep a few weeks ago.... my neighbor works at a car dealership and i got it from him, but didnt have time to have my mechanic look it over (probably not good)... the more i'm able to look at it the worse shape the underneath is in.

so you think it would be better to get a used oil pan and have it replaced? any idea how much it would cost to have someone do that for me?

thanks for your suggestions so far.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Do it yourself. Shop will charge 3-4 hours labor plus parts. I know that here that would be about $200-300. pan at a JY will cost about $20 plus five quarts oil and a gasket. Total job $50, a few hours, couple busted knuckles and alot of cussing. Is an easy but frustrating job, type of a job a 5 year old could do.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Do it yourself. Shop will charge 3-4 hours labor plus parts. I know that here that would be about $200-300. pan at a JY will cost about $20 plus five quarts oil and a gasket. Total job $50, a few hours, couple busted knuckles and alot of cussing. Is an easy but frustrating job, type of a job a 5 year old could do.
to save your knuckles and tons of time put her up on jack stands and unbolt your sway bar and shocks and get your front axle to drop as far as you can get it. gives you tons more room to get the oil pan in and out
Old 03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
X-J

Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Engine: 242

you can take off the pan without pulling the engine
Id be afraid of sanding it because what if you punch through it, then you just got crud inside the pan.
- I would opt for a new pan, you would be starting out fresh - less worries
pulling one from the yard "could " become frustrating
Old 03-06-2010, 12:44 AM

would it be possible to replace the oil pan with out putting it on jack stands?? to be honest this is my first vehicle, i'd have to go out and buy jack stands and a jack so that i could replace it.

i would like to replace it, but with it still being march in pennsylvania its a bit cold outside.... do you think i could get away with jb weld till it warms up?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 AM
X-J

Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Engine: 242

I was thinking worse case scenario -
you could try it , super clean degreaser works really good it comes in a gallon bottle and about $8 and sometimes you can get it in a spray bottle, but I would use some rags and wipe it clean, that way it wont get into the oil, then sand it lightly, Im not sure how well Jb weld will go on when its really cold outside, I was wondering if that tail pipe repair tape would work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tiger...-/350310222911
Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM

it takes about a good day in a garage for jb weld to set, i had to jb weld my fan shroud a few weeks ago when it was snowing outside..... you know what might help.... small space heaters in the garage to change the temp a few degrees.

suggestions on replacing and how to replace the oil pan if this doesnt work.... possible to do it without jacking it up? thanks for the continued help with this!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

If your jeep is lifted you will be able to do it with out doing the axle drop. its a very simple process like stated above a 5 year could do it. I would just spend the money and get a new one either from a store or a JY. Its not worth trying to save a 15+ year old oil pan...... just my $0.02
Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 AM

no, sorry its a stock jeep not lifted... if anything it needs a whole new suspension front and rear (leaf springs are pretty much straight) and i'm a little afraid to take it apart right now because i'm sure i have to replace it and dont have the money right now to do that going to try in the summer.....

and even better i just pulled it in and i believe there may be an exhaust leak from around the header, or the first joint in the exhaust where i could feel air escaping. this is getting better and better.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

If your Jeep is not lifted, or has a small lift, it will need to be jacked/supported to get the oil pan off/on.
The axle is close enough to the pan that it will not allow removal.
That is why you need to disconnect the swaybar end links and shocks... it allow the axle to drop out of the way as the rig is jacked up.

Personally, "I" would leave it alone until it gets a little warmer... If you have a garage (or garage available to you), I would replace the pan.

Owning a floor jack, jack stands (and creeper if you have a smooth surface to work on) will be usefull durring the ownership of your rig... especialy if you plan on lifting/wheeling... not because Cherokee's suck, but because it's an older vehicle, and paying for labour at a shop is painfull.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil leak experts please help....