Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil filter housing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil filter housing...

Well I guess that is what it's called. I think this is where my oil leak is coming from. Ran it for awhile yesterday and seen some oil seap from it, so I am guessing over time and hard running, it's blowing around and down on the exhaust. My question is..How do you remove to replace the o-ring/seal? I checked my Haynes manual and didn't see it in there and I was going to search it, but not sure what it's called. I have seen pictures where the oil filter is straight up, but mine is facing the back of the engine. May not matter, but just wanted to add that in case there is an issue there. Looks like to remove it, I will have to pull the motor mount, would this be the case? Thanks for any help..
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Originally Posted by PUNISHER
Well I guess that is what it's called. I think this is where my oil leak is coming from. Ran it for awhile yesterday and seen some oil seap from it, so I am guessing over time and hard running, it's blowing around and down on the exhaust. My question is..How do you remove to replace the o-ring/seal? I checked my Haynes manual and didn't see it in there and I was going to search it, but not sure what it's called. I have seen pictures where the oil filter is straight up, but mine is facing the back of the engine. May not matter, but just wanted to add that in case there is an issue there. Looks like to remove it, I will have to pull the motor mount, would this be the case? Thanks for any help..
I say the same oil filter housing/adapter, but to get it out you will need a T50 or so.. and its at the fender side of the housing.. pull it off and replace ring and do reverse for install.. you dont have to take of the filter but be aware that oil will come out if not done.. hope this helps. they sell the o-ring/seal at advance for a buck or somethin. should be at most auto part stores..
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Check the back of the valve cover also and see if its leaking from there. I replaced just about everything and it was also the back of the valve cover that was leaking and dripping down the motor...Tj
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
Check the back of the valve cover also and see if its leaking from there. I replaced just about everything and it was also the back of the valve cover that was leaking and dripping down the motor...Tj
^ X2
Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
I say the same oil filter housing/adapter, but to get it out you will need a T50 or so.. and its at the fender side of the housing.. pull it off and replace ring and do reverse for install.. you dont have to take of the filter but be aware that oil will come out if not done.. hope this helps. they sell the o-ring/seal at advance for a buck or somethin. should be at most auto part stores..
Looks like to me that it's going to hit the motor mount when taking it off. I couldn't get a T50 to start due to it's real close to the frame and at an angle. This isn't the original motor to the jeep.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Looks like to me that it's going to hit the motor mount when taking it off. I couldn't get a T50 to start due to it's real close to the frame and at an angle. This isn't the original motor to the jeep.
dont remember the motor mount being in the way but as for the angle i had the same problem but i was able to find allan key that worked for me.. Do u have a picture?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
dont remember the motor mount being in the way but as for the angle i had the same problem but i was able to find allan key that worked for me.. Do u have a picture?
No pictures my friend. I parked the jeep in the yard after snapping off the CCV to see if it was dirty causing my oil leak. CCV was clean once I got it out. Told my wife it was time to walk away from it for a awhile before I went off. Hit the keg and Crown and never looked back..LOL! I found a web site that explains how the housing comes apart. They call it an adapter and it's a two piece design, so it will clear the motor mount. Just not much room between where the T60 goes and the frame. I'll get back to it this weekend and see what I can do..Got to get the CCV replaced and carry on..Thanks for everyone's help. You guys rock..