Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

oil in the air filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question oil in the air filter

I am sure this has been covered but the search feature doesn't allow words to have less than 4 letters!

I am getting a little oil in the air filter and I have cleaned the CVC tube on the back end of the valve cover. I guess that in 87 they didn't put a PVC on.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:36 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

4.0 and 2.5 Jeeps don't have pcv valves, they use an orifice breather system. As they get older and there is more blow-by, the breather system is overwhelmed and excess oil ends up in the air cleaner. The real fix is to stop the blow-by with an engine overhaul/replacement. Of course you could just replace the air filter more often!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:55 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: I-6 282

ok, heres what i did. theres a tube comming from the top of your valve body cover to your air box. when blow-by occurs it recirculates the air (and blow-by in this case) to the top of your filter, moving unfiltered air from your valve body into your airbox with no chance of filtration.

i removed the tube from the valve body to the airbox and replaced it with about a 5 foot tube. i ran the new tube below the engine and zip-tied it on. doesnt much matter where you put it as long as nothing (water) can get up the tube. then i took a rubber plug and plugged the hole on the air box.

WA-LA! no more unfiltered air gets by your filter.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

You need to keep an eye on that air filter. It gets soaked and acts like a choke on a carbureated engine and just chokes off the air supply. Engine will turn over and you can smell fuel but it won't start. Pull out the air filter and WA-LA engine starts and runs pretty good. Also a impared air filter will increase fuel consumption, something not needed in todays economy and with the current cost of fuel.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:04 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Or you could try using s piece of sponge, foam, or some other filter media to stop the oil from passing through the tube and into your air filter.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CCV Rebuild

I have tried several ways to fix this. I found a solution by searching on NAXJA.ORG.The article said that in the Renix engines, the manifold inside of the valve cover becomes clogged, due to lack of proper maintenance and oil changes. The article says that Jeep sells the rebuild kit and even gave part #s for the different kits. I have not done this yet, but I do know that there is not a lot of blow by in my engine and I still get the oily air filter action! I am in the process of getting my XJ ready for wheeling season and plan on doing a rebuild of the CCV system, which it is called in the article. When I do this I will take pics and try to post them so others, in the same boat, can have the info. If I had my crap together I could provide a link. Not only do I not know how to do that, I don't know the address to it. So I guess I suck, so sorry!! PEACE OUT JEEPERS!!!!