Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ohms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ohms?

is there a way to test the tps for my jeep cherokee sport? whats an xj?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Xj is the super secret spy name jeep gave the cherokee. You can test to see if your tps has any flat spots with a multi meter. Unplug the connector an put the probes in two holes (ground and output. Should be the center and one of the sides.. can't remember the colors) and move your throttle slowly up and down. Should read smoothly through the range with no dead spots.

Last edited by Slick761; 09-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 PM

Default thanks slick761

i will look into checkin that. i have an ohm meter but not sure about range. should it read within range and rise smoothly does that mean its good? im fixin this here jeep for winter n kinda at a loss as to where my power goes when i put it into drive...no cat equiped.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

There's a percentage of the input voltage you also need to check... Google it I don't have the exact instructions on me. What year BTW?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Always post year/engine. TPS is different for the RENIX and HO engines.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If it's a Renix XJ, 1987 to 1990, and you need simple instructions on how to check/adjust your TPS, PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Or, if you ask tjwalker real nice, he'll probably post them in this thread for you.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 PM

thank you. its a 93 jeep cherokee sport. inline six 4.0. went and got a tps from dealer today but realized it has different pins..guess i'll do it again...

Last edited by jeepodus; 09-26-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: info
Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by cruiser54
If it's a Renix XJ, 1987 to 1990, and you need simple instructions on how to check/adjust your TPS, PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.
Not to interrupt this thread but I would really like to know how to adjust my TPS on my 90.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

"""""You can test to see if your tps has any flat spots with an ignore meter."""""

What's an ignore meter?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rrich
"""""You can test to see if your tps has any flat spots with an ignore meter."""""

What's an ignore meter?
Check it again lol. Meant multimeter
Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 AM

i had a friend use a reader thing and it said rich air mixture, starved air mixture or something. i think this is like a code 22 from the dash, pointing me in the direction to switch out my o2 sensors.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by BigzXJ
Not to interrupt this thread but I would really like to know how to adjust my TPS on my 90.
Have you PMed me yet with your email address?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 AM

Default am i gaining ground?

Ok so i went and replaced my xj hanes manual. i have replaced the co2 sensor. the 51 52 code the other day pointed me to a rich fuel air mixture and a lean air fuel mixture. not sure what i can do aside from replace all these sensors...i checked the voltages of the map sensor and the iat sensor and the engine coolant sensor and the iac sensor. everything looked normal.
I tried to test the co2 sensor by back probeing the connector from the pcm. it says its supposed to b within the .4v to .45v range. i just kept comming up with .1v or .2v. does this mean my pcm is broken? i cant see all the wiring harness all the way as it runs thru the bar over the manifold. i tested the resistance of the iat and the engine coolant sensor and they were in the 3434 range were they should have been in the 7300 to 8700 range as far as engine temp gos....wierd.
Also this xj has had a bad air filter for a couple years, bad like it had a half inch gap around the fitting, bought it like that and didnt kno better....soo the throttle body is way gooped up, not so mych in the way its goopy but dried and crusty around the butterfly valve and into my aic...does this indicate a specific problem relating to my rich air/lean air mixture problem? im wondering if my injectors are gunked up or where else in the line i could find a build up of residue within the manifold/pistons?? i really dont kno these things.
With that in mind, i can start it from cold, 70 degrees outside, it idles up on auto choke then settles down to 800. since i got the new co2 sensor it doesnt seem to search as much for the right fuel mixture ie: (idle up idle down then get too rich and die). but as it warms to normal operation temp it will eventually flood. it seems to have the most problem between 1000 and 2000 rpms as far as flooding out when i push on the accelorator. between 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 it doesnt seem to be limited or stall. between 1 and 2000 rpms i have to flutter or feather the throttle to keep it from floodig. when i put it in gear it seems to keep a better idle since new co2 senosr yet when i get forty or fifty feet down the road it sputters and nearly dies untill i turn i around and park it. thats all i can recall at this moment. any help would be frickin awesome
Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: l6 242

tjwalker has sent me the instructions on tps adjustment before.

passing them on(keep in mind, this is RENIX only)

Test AND adjust your throttle position sensor. (and while you're working in that area, clean your throttle body and idle air control)

More on the TPS below...
-----------------------------------

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT

Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using one lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the other lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION:

RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.

Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.

Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.

Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:

RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.

However, the automatic TPS also has a four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D.. For the automatic transmission equipped vehicles the four-wire connector
provides data to the TCU.

Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.

Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.

So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.

For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 AM

Leroy, his is a 93 so it's not a Renix.

To the OP, did you ever replace the TPS?

Quick Reply: ohms?