Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Offroad/Daily Driver Combo

Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha
Default Offroad/Daily Driver Combo

So for the past couple months i have been researching and thinking hard about what i want to put on my jeep, and all on somewhat of a budget. I think i figured out what i want, but i just have a few questions. I want to build my jeep so that it does awesome off road, looks good, but yet still has good road manners, because its still be my DD.
So this is what i'm thinking.....

-4.5 inch Rustys lift with full spring packs
-32x11.5x15
-Quick Discos
-4:10's
-SYE and CV driveshaft
-And eventually front and rear selectable lockers

- 1st question... Will that be a good setup for off road, as well as a DD? or what do i need to change, or what would you guys recommend?

-ok, so 2nd question... Off road wise, would it be better to just save up a bit longer and get 33x12.5x15 and bushwackers? But if i do that would it impact my on road drive-ability by a lot though? I am just worried ill want it to flex better, and have bigger tires down the road and be kickin myself in the butt because i didn't.... but then again i want it to behave good on the road? or do i kinda just have to pick and choose what i want more on this one?

- 3rd question... with 32's or 33's what gears should i get? i have heard both 4:10's and 4:56's?

sorry about the long post, but uhh, i think thats it? i have searched on forums, internet, and everywhere else, and i think i have it narrowed down, but then again i don't have experience with this stuff... thanks everyone!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

well for a DD and a wheeler 4.5" is good...id look into a long arm kit though. improves street handling....here's a link that goes over that...
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tru...ng-arms-40199/

for tires the 4.5" will fit 33"s but you will have to trim your fenders to avoid rubbing/ tearing the fenders at full flex. also you'll need a rim with at least 4" of backspace to avoid rubbing your lower control arms. for gears 4.10 is good for the bigger tires, but kinda sucks for highway travel.

and your right on about needing the SYE and CV driveshaft. if i remember right you can use a stock front drive shaft off the XJ for the rear DS when you install an SYE...look into that though.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L I6

i dd mine with 6.5'' long arm and 33x12.5 with 3.55's it handles the road fine and is very good offroad too
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L I6

oh yea and i have the sye and cv rear
Old 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

most people for there daily driver/weekend wheeler go with a 3 inch lift and 31's. this was you wont lose much mpg or power while driving. get front sway bar disconnects and you'll be set for the trails! you wont need to regear with 31's either. lockers arent really a daily driver thing either its up to you and mostly up to your budget!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '89
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by goneboating06
So for the past couple months i have been researching and thinking hard about what i want to put on my jeep, and all on somewhat of a budget. I think i figured out what i want, but i just have a few questions. I want to build my jeep so that it does awesome off road, looks good, but yet still has good road manners, because its still be my DD.
So this is what i'm thinking.....

-4.5 inch Rustys lift with full spring packs
-32x11.5x15
-Quick Discos
-4:10's
-SYE and CV driveshaft
-And eventually front and rear selectable lockers

- 1st question... Will that be a good setup for off road, as well as a DD? or what do i need to change, or what would you guys recommend?

-ok, so 2nd question... Off road wise, would it be better to just save up a bit longer and get 33x12.5x15 and bushwackers? But if i do that would it impact my on road drive-ability by a lot though? I am just worried ill want it to flex better, and have bigger tires down the road and be kickin myself in the butt because i didn't.... but then again i want it to behave good on the road? or do i kinda just have to pick and choose what i want more on this one?

- 3rd question... with 32's or 33's what gears should i get? i have heard both 4:10's and 4:56's?

sorry about the long post, but uhh, i think thats it? i have searched on forums, internet, and everywhere else, and i think i have it narrowed down, but then again i don't have experience with this stuff... thanks everyone!

Hi Goneboating,
Ide say with a Rough Country 4.5" lift (They still sell it with full leafs, you just have to call them up and ask) This is what I have on mine and it impresses me still.
PLUS!!!
When you call them up, ask for Jason, and tell him youre a member of this forum and he'll give you a discount! Im not affiliated in anyway, just satisfied with their product.

Also, screw the disconnects....Too be honest, you dont need your sway bars, Period! Ive actually removed mine with no ill effects. Also if your worried about pulling things like trailers...Dont be. Ive pulled trailers fine. Ive also pulled other cars on a car dolly, with no sway bars. My Jeep handles absolutely fine, with out my sway bars.

Ide personally go with 33's ...why not?... I got 33's waiting to go on.
And 4.10 I hear is a good "DD road gear" to use...but offroad 4.56 will put more power to the ground.

SYE? I dont know...I dont have one (too my knowledge, lol) and have no problems and Ive put my XJ through its paces...

OH JESUS! Selectable lockers for the front AND rear.... if you can afford those $$$$$ ...more power to ya! Im not going to comment here however, because everyone has different opinions when it comes to lockers.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM

Thanks everyone..... I was going to buy Rough Country, but i heard the adjustable track bar was a good thing to have, and i think the Rustys has it? do i really need it, and should i just go with the Rough Country? I don't need a intense crazy rock crawler, just something to be reliable, good off road, not that expensive, and something to lift higher then a foot off the ground... haha, and definitely want to go with a 4.5 inch.

Haha, heck if i just take the sway bar off, that will save me some $$$$ and if it doesn't affect it that much i am going for it haha thanks!

Yeah, thats my goal to have selectable lockers in front and back, but who knows, there is so much crap i want for my jeep.... money pit... but so worth it.

The only thing that is holding me back from getting 33's is i live in Utah, and the UHP is nuts about fender flares, and tire coverage. Here you can't have any tread past the fender flares, and your supposed to have mud flaps (yeah right...not going to happen).... so thats why i was thinking about getting bushwackers, but i don't really want to spend 400+ just on fender flairs, and plus i have head BW's dwarf 33's...
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

why not go with a narrower 33" tire
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Year: 1996

I ran 33x9.5R15 BFG A/T's on my 1990 with 4.5" lift and factory flares. 4.5" backspace on 8" rim. I had purchased the rims for wider tires origionaly. "You would be better with 7" wide rims. trying to get the bead to catch on these tires was not fun."

Last edited by ITSAJEEPXJTHING; 03-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM

does the narrower 33's rub with factory fender flares?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM

Year: 1996

Does not rub on my 1990. But my front fenders and liners are chopped in the front at the bottom of the headder pannel.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM

oh all right... thanks you guys, you answered all my questions, i appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Do not get rid of your sway bars!!! Your rear on but not your front. Get disconnects if anything but do not take it off if its your DD thats just crazy. I dont have a rear from the factory but I would not drive my DD with out a front. BUt other than that it sounds like you have your jeep going in the direction you want it. Post some pics
Old 03-13-2010, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '89
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by 91familyxj
Do not get rid of your sway bars!!! Your rear on but not your front. Get disconnects if anything but do not take it off if its your DD thats just crazy. I dont have a rear from the factory but I would not drive my DD with out a front. BUt other than that it sounds like you have your jeep going in the direction you want it. Post some pics

Why?

Unless your flying around corners, theres no need.
And yes, I drive mine on the Hi-way too.

If you want to speed around...Go buy a car...

Swaybars are a pointless items on the Cherokee....well, atleast for people that know its NOT a race car...
Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by goneboating06
Thanks everyone..... I was going to buy Rough Country, but i heard the adjustable track bar was a good thing to have, and i think the Rustys has it? do i really need it, and should i just go with the Rough Country? I don't need a intense crazy rock crawler, just something to be reliable, good off road, not that expensive, and something to lift higher then a foot off the ground... haha, and definitely want to go with a 4.5 inch.

Haha, heck if i just take the sway bar off, that will save me some $$$$ and if it doesn't affect it that much i am going for it haha thanks!

Yeah, thats my goal to have selectable lockers in front and back, but who knows, there is so much crap i want for my jeep.... money pit... but so worth it.

The only thing that is holding me back from getting 33's is i live in Utah, and the UHP is nuts about fender flares, and tire coverage. Here you can't have any tread past the fender flares, and your supposed to have mud flaps (yeah right...not going to happen).... so thats why i was thinking about getting bushwackers, but i don't really want to spend 400+ just on fender flairs, and plus i have head BW's dwarf 33's...
stay away front rustys. ive seen too many broken leafs and track bar ends. go with rough country

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Offroad/Daily Driver Combo