Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OEM plastic door sill covers - front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default OEM plastic door sill covers - front and rear

Many years ago I kept replacing the plastic driver door sill cover... car wash dudes kept climbing up there and cracking the plastic. I was able to buy the last two after Jeep discontinued these..

To protect the precious OE gray covers, I had a hot rod fabricator make up some covers out of aluminum sheet stock...

Think I'm **** about my interior? Lol..

Attached Thumbnails OEM plastic door sill covers - front and rear-image.jpeg  

Last edited by M998; 04-25-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 AM

Another view...

Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 AM

And another....

Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Not at all. My two fronts are cracked right where they go into the kick plates under the dash. Plus the sill cover in the cargo area has a small crack too. It's a Jeep and you do not even notice for the most part. Knowing they are kinda bugs me though. It appears that the pieces I need are still available. And I have the Camel interior, it's an '00, that is a little harder to find then the Agate. Sooner or later my OCD will cause me to buy them. Thinking I like your sturdier, cheaper, more permanent solution though.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0ltr

a very good idea and they look good fitted...;-)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Want to clarify. I can not find diagrams and what I am talking about is a long hard black plastic piece on the bottom side of the car at the edge of the frame from wheel to wheel.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 PM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M998
Many years ago I kept replacing the plastic driver door sill cover... car wash dudes kept climbing up there and cracking the plastic. I was able to buy the last two after Jeep discontinued these..

To protect the precious OE gray covers, I had a hot rod fabricator make up some covers out of aluminum sheet stock...

Think I'm **** about my interior? Lol..

I wish I could find some OEM gray door sills. Mine are a bit scuffed up. The rest of the panels are like new.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jpk
I wish I could find some OEM gray door sills. Mine are a bit scuffed up. The rest of the panels are like new.
You might be able to. I did not buy them but supposedly the Camel ones for my '00 were in stock awhile back. They were not cheap though. I did buy a new lower trim piece for my cargo area. Mine was all busted up and it just annoyed me. Again not cheap though. OCD is a *****. LOL. Find the part number and google it.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:38 AM
jpk

Originally Posted by Ralph77
You might be able to. I did not buy them but supposedly the Camel ones for my '00 were in stock awhile back. They were not cheap though. I did buy a new lower trim piece for my cargo area. Mine was all busted up and it just annoyed me. Again not cheap though. OCD is a *****. LOL. Find the part number and google it.
I have tries googling it. No luck. I have replaced all the rear cargo area plastic with NOS OEM parts. Just got through recovering the headliner, sound bar and OH console. My XJ is looking pretty good inside. Next I need to work on the outside. Still it is in really nice overall stock condition. Yes. OCD is a *****.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jpk
I have tries googling it. No luck. I have replaced all the rear cargo area plastic with NOS OEM parts. Just got through recovering the headliner, sound bar and OH console. My XJ is looking pretty good inside. Next I need to work on the outside. Still it is in really nice overall stock condition. Yes. OCD is a *****.
We are talking about the sill? What the over the shoulder part of the seat belt comes out of. What year is your Jeep and is it 2 or 4 door?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 AM
jpk

We are talking about the sill? What the over the shoulder part of the seat belt comes out of. What year is your Jeep and is it 2 or 4 door?
Mine is a 96 four door, gray interior. Yes, the plastic sill where the lower part of the seat belts are anchored. Runs from the front door sills back to the bottom of the B pillar.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

I don't give up easily. Don't get your hopes up. Lots of times sites give you the impression they have the parts. Let you put your order through and then you get an email saying you are SOL.

https://www.oemautopartsandaccessori...db6331ef34da8/

Now that I got your hopes up I am going to probably dash them. Was looking your parts up in my '94 to '96 XJ Parts Catalog. Things are not really make sense to me. For starters there are different part numbers for each year. That itself is not unusual. I mostly look at '97 and up parts. Usually the part number is the same but 2 letters at the end change. Always figured it was a year designation. But wait there is more. Seems like the build date might come into play. But wait there is still more. The parts in my catalog are not the same as on the link to the site I posted. And this is all assuming that I am even looking up these parts correctly. Posted a shot out of my '94 to '96 Parts Catalog. If you click on the shot it will become bigger and readable. Oh and I forgot to mention that they don't seem to list a color on the link to that site. But yet appears both tan and gray were interior color options for '96.
Attached Thumbnails OEM plastic door sill covers - front and rear-capture.png  

Last edited by Ralph77; 02-11-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM
jpk

To my knowledge gray and tan were the only interior colors in the 94-96 model years. I have an original Jeep Cherokee options brochure for the 96 model year and those are the only two colors available. And, they were usually keyed to the exterior color trim like the cladding in bumper end caps. Gray with the silver cladding and tan with the champagne color. I believe the 97 model year had two grays, a medium and a darker. I'm not sure since I have a 96 so I haven't the knowledge about the later post 96 colors.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:20 PM
jpk

I have ordered the parts. The center trim lower and the kick plates, both sides in charcoal. We'll see if they have the parts. This would be so great if they have them. keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for that link.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 AM
jpk

I don't give up easily. Don't get your hopes up. Lots of times sites give you the impression they have the parts. Let you put your order through and then you get an email saying you are SOL.

https://www.oemautopartsandaccessori...db6331ef34da8/

Now that I got your hopes up I am going to probably dash them. Was looking your parts up in my '94 to '96 XJ Parts Catalog. Things are not really make sense to me. For starters there are different part numbers for each year. That itself is not unusual. I mostly look at '97 and up parts. Usually the part number is the same but 2 letters at the end change. Always figured it was a year designation. But wait there is more. Seems like the build date might come into play. But wait there is still more. The parts in my catalog are not the same as on the link to the site I posted. And this is all assuming that I am even looking up these parts correctly. Posted a shot out of my '94 to '96 Parts Catalog. If you click on the shot it will become bigger and readable. Oh and I forgot to mention that they don't seem to list a color on the link to that site. But yet appears both tan and gray were interior color options for '96.
They say the 96 is the bastard year as it was the year they started to incorporate some of the changes that would show up in the 97+ refresh. However in my searches in junk yards, the gray plastic interior panels are the same color gray, at least as far as I can tell, from at least the 90 model year forward to 96. The 97's+ had darker gray panels, however if one could find a nice OEM set I believe they would be a direct swap to the earlier years. I haven't seen any difference in them other than the color.

Quick Reply: OEM plastic door sill covers - front and rear