Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odd Vibration @ Around 60-65

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)
Default Odd Vibration @ Around 60-65

Hey, guys, I'm back with another question, but this one I believe leans more toward the vehicle's safety. My '93 (Specs below in signature) has a really weird, constant vibration at highway speeds, most intense between 60-65. I don't feel much in the steering wheel, but it's REALLY noticeable in the "seat of the pants".

It does have a 3" Lift on it, so I think an adjustable track bar SHOULD be installed (correct me if I'm wrong), but I haven't had an issue with bump steer. There's also about a four inch "dead zone" in the wheel in either direction before it starts to actually turn the Jeep. For that, I wanna say steering box, but I don't know really....

Another thing I should probably check is the wheel bearings, right? If so, how would I? Do I need to remove the tire to do that or....?

I know I ask a lot here, but I'm rather fresh to the Jeep scene. I LOVE mine to death, but she's got some issues.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

That is a lot of slop in your steering. I would check it from the pitman arm back through the steering shaft leading to the steering wheel. Check the inside of your wheels for dirt or mud stuck in the inner rim. I've found that even a small amount of dried dirt can cause a vibration. You might also try swapping wheels/tires front to back just to see how it affects the vibration. If it fixes it, have your tires re-balanced.

To check your hubs/bearings, just jack up from the axle until the tire is off the ground, grab the tire from the top and try rocking it. There should be no or very, very little movement, if the hub assembly/wheel/tire feels loose then your bearings are likely going.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the info, F1! Now that you said how to check the bearings, I realized I've done that before, not on purpose though. I was out working on it today and was able to move the tire around like you said probably about a half inch in all directions. Didn't seem right at the time and now I know I've got bad bearings....Fun....

As for the steering play, I just went out and looked at it and the dead zone is about 11 to 1 'o clock. Not sure it's a full four inches, but feels close. I did find something about adjusting the gearbox, so think I could give that a try?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 AM

So, another thing I just noticed today on my way home on the highway....It felt like the front end was swaying side to side! I was cruising at right about 55, mostly behind semi's so that COULD'VE had something to do with it? Wind drafts and all....Could it also be a symptom of a worn track bar or bushing?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TwoXJS
So, another thing I just noticed today on my way home on the highway....It felt like the front end was swaying side to side! I was cruising at right about 55, mostly behind semi's so that COULD'VE had something to do with it? Wind drafts and all....Could it also be a symptom of a worn track bar or bushing?

Hard to tell until you get the bearing assemblies fixed. Bad bearings can cause the front end to wander as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 AM

Oh, okay, thanks! Didn't know they could cause that as well