Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OD green

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default OD green

decided to go with OD green from flat black. i just bought a 79 yota and painted it black, i didn't want 2 flat black vehicles so...what do you think? im debating putting the white star on the side like an old school army jeep, i just don't know if that would be lame or not.....
from

to

i guess i should just make a build thread...ill look for pics of doin the chop and other stuff....let me know what you think
Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Hm. Kinda like the teeth on the grille...

When I finally get to refit my 88, it's going to go from a white two-door to either an OD or a Woodland two-door; but I need to figure out how to black out all of the lights (matte black) as well. And, I'll have to strip the window moulding, door handles, side view mirrors, and drip rails off and have the chrome overcoated with flat black as well (Chrome trim on an OD/camo vehicle is like being broke - no sense.)

Inside, it's going to be refit for holding tools, supplies, and gear - combination work truck and travel truck, by the time I'm done.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0HO

Love the OD green. I used to wheel with a guy in Va that had an OD green TJ with the white star and serial numbers on the hood. It was bad azz!! It looked like an old flat fender but with all the new goodies.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I am partial to OD green myself... perhaps it's the time I spent in the military.

Speaking of, you don't have to put the white star to have the military look, since modern military vehicles do not have it. Create a bumper # and stencil it on the right end of the front and rear bumper (right as you are looking at each bumper, drivers side for the front, passenger side for the rear), stencil the tire pressure (example TP 32) above each fender lip, on the hood stencil NO STEP along the edge of the hood that runs from windshield to grille...

If you want to run the star it would need to fit within a 3" circle and be black, it would need to be applied to both front doors, center of hood and center of rear hatch.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

thanks for the input!
wow i didn't know it was that technical prerunner but thanks!
i havn't decided what im going to do...i might just leave it for now.
this is the motorcycle i traded for this jeep. i guess its kinda a tribute to paint the jeep OD.
http://sn114w.snt114.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=683b603e-d02b-48a3-ace4-6283b36eaeb5&Aux=44|0|8CB4FBBA0BE6E80||

sorry for some reason i couldn't get it loaded to photobucket
Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

I believe you can find various "period" paint schemes for .mil vehicles online - I'd start with armyjeepparts.com (also a stocking disty for Gillespie Coatings. Reports from the field for Gillespie paints are consistently good,) and steelsoldiers.com (military vehicle enthusiasts'/collector's site)

The "big white star" went out sometime around WWII - I think it was already phased out by Korea (1950-1952.) Definitely gone by Vietnam (1960-1975, with "unofficial" involvement starting around 1950-1951...) And, though black, it was reduced in size to make the straight lines smaller - you'll note that nothing in Nature presents a regular straight line or perfectly round circle...

The "serial number" is more properly known as a "bumper number," and is the DoD/Military equivalent of a license plate/registration number (it just happens to be "permanently" affixed to the vehicle.) The tyre pressure above the wheelhouse openings would be a nice touch - I think bumper numbers get painted with a 3" or 4" stencil, and the tyre pressure with a 1" stencil (you can find that online as well - .mil vehicle restorers have looked all of this up.)
Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

As a Old spray painter from the Oshkosh Truck Corp. (Makers of the PLS, HEMITT, ABRAMS TANK Hauler, And now the MRATV) I can tell you the "CARC" (chemical & anti radar coating) paint is made by Hentzen. It would take 4 guys about 15 min. to camouflage a PLS. Spraying all three colors at once. Each painter used 3 guns. But now, Everything is sand colored.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:21 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I was thinking about stars but I'm kinda liking the numbering with stencils. I went with the olive drab green in satin.
Name:  DSCN0112.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  98.2 KB
Old 05-23-2010, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
As a Old spray painter from the Oshkosh Truck Corp. (Makers of the PLS, HEMITT, ABRAMS TANK Hauler, And now the MRATV) I can tell you the "CARC" (chemical & anti radar coating) paint is made by Hentzen. It would take 4 guys about 15 min. to camouflage a PLS. Spraying all three colors at once. Each painter used 3 guns. But now, Everything is sand colored.
Yeah - but isn't that CARC stuff not nice to people before it cures? Yech...

Don't get me wrong - I'd like the idea of a coating that will last, and it would cost too damned much to powdercoat the whole vehicle! But, I doubt I could get a permit to work with CARC, and I'm reaonably sure the idiots in CalEPA wouldn't let me anyhow.

Any tips for doing a muticolour camo job from rattle-cans, tho? Somehow, I think I'm not the only one who would like to hear this...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

5-90... some good "star" info there...

I am also a member of SteelSoldiers.com and they do have some great MV info.

I believe you are right on the size of the stencil as well... but doing a little research on it..

Originally Posted by zwhiz
thanks for the input!
wow i didn't know it was that technical prerunner but thanks!
If you are gonna do it... gotta do it right. To me it just adds more to the real military look, more than just a white star would.

Edit: Bumper #s can be he largest size practical, not to exceed 4" in height. Tire pressure stencils are 1" in height.

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...fid=file&pid=7

Last edited by prerunner1982; 05-24-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
5-90... some good "star" info there...

I am also a member of SteelSoldiers.com and they do have some great MV info.

I believe you are right on the size of the stencil as well... but doing a little research on it..

If you are gonna do it... gotta do it right. To me it just adds more to the real military look, more than just a white star would.

Edit: Bumper #s can be he largest size practical, not to exceed 4" in height. Tire pressure stencils are 1" in height.

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...fid=file&pid=7
And that was going from 15-20-year-old memories! Glad I'm not too far off...
Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 87

here is mine i love how it looks
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L

DANG IT Zach..i didn't know you went OD already..now i really can't do it..lol j/k. My jeep has two grabber green stripes on the hood with flat black in the center, i want OD but want grabber green too...but i don't know how grabber green and OD would look..guess there is only one way to find out.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Default My favorite color

OD green is awesome and it is almost invisable in the dark
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM

CARC paint is carcinogenic (sp) I was in the Army and did a couple month stint in the paint booth at Ft Hood. Had to wear a full body suit with oxygen that was even completely taped up. You know the suits they show in the movies at toxic/chemical sites but our oxygen was piped into hoses from the building we didn't wear tanks.

I'm also covered by VA for life for anything cancer, especially lung cancer. Don't screw with CARC paint and I'm sure it very illegal plus what do you need with paint that will protect your vehicle from chemical warfare? LOL

I hated the paintbooth BTW. Most who were sent to the paint booth were screw ups but my unit sent me there as a vacation or for being good. Thankfully I was deployed about 2.5 months after going to the paintbooth so I didn't have to ready for deployment other than unit training I'd already done, that was my vacation.

Quick Reply: OD green