Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OBDII

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default OBDII

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that can not pass smog inspection because there is no memory on the computer. First, I was told that the battery may not have enough power to ensure the memory. Replaced the battery and blew the starter two days later. Everything on the vehicle such as lights, wipers A/C works. I was told I may need a new OBDII. I am not all that familiar with this issue and would appreciate any advice.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

No memory as in, the codes were cleared recently or as in the Emissions computer could not communicate with the system?

http://www.obd2.com/support/reprog/d..._procedure.pdf

HOW TO CHECK IF YOU ARE READY FOR YOU STATE INSPECTION: (Readiness tests complete)

For Jeep Chrysler and Dodge, the owner’s manual states that the vehicle has a simple
ignition key actuated test, which you can use prior to going to the test station. To check if your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready, you must do the following:

1- Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, but do not crank or start the engine. If you crank or start the engine, you will have to start this test over.

2- As soon as you turn the ignition switch to the ON position, you will see the MIL symbol come on as part of a normal bulb check.

3- Approximately 15 seconds later, one of two things will happen:

a. The MIL will flash for about 10 seconds and then return to being fully illuminated until
you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II
system is not ready and you should NOT proceed to the Emissions Check station.

b. The MIL will not flash at all and will remain fully illuminated until you turn OFF the
ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready and
you CAN proceed to the Emissions Check station.

Last edited by peligro113; 05-25-2017 at 02:21 AM.